🇮🇳 India successfully launches 31 satellites in space. Many from western countries.Dec 1, 2018
While the world was sleeping Indians were just busy putting American and European satellites in space including some Indian ones.
Let the hate begin! I’ll start. Why does India need a space program? It doesn’t have running water or electricity or good education. Fools squandering tax payers money on foolish pursuits! More sanctions on India.
- Citibank / Eng$$>RSUWelcome to the 1970s India space program!! One day all of your citizens will enter the 1900s with a toilet of their own.
Flagged by the community.
- All the idiots who comment as if Indians don’t know the concept of toilets or lack of access has to realize one thing. Modern day toilets emerged from Pharaonic Egypt, which traces its origins to Ancient Civilizations of India. And ofcourse these latrines(toilets) were for wealthy and elites in those times. Then comes the talk about open defecation, India is not the only country who has this practice. In fact, open defecation is a very ancient practice and is common with most civilizations. As mankind embraced new solutions, some have adapted and some didn’t, sure it’s unhygienic by todays way of life and It takes time for some to change age-old practices. But you sure don’t see people in India doing it public places like Subways, sidewalks and McDonalds unlike US. So fix yo own shit first?
- Microsoft / EngTier 1Is it profitable? If so, I suppose I could get behind the idea.
In general, even though India has a sizeable middle class, there are so many Indians who are incredibly poor that I believe that helping grow the economy to get these people to their full potential must be the top priority for India.
India is not like the US. In the US if you’re homeless, it’s probably because you’re a drug addict or choose not to work.
In the US the homeless even have access to toilets, healthcare, and are often obese.
In India there are too many smart young children who never get a chance to succeed.
- Of course it is profitable. It helps India bring in the much needed forex and helps the whole Indian economy. This money is additional revenue for the country to help build infrastructure for its citizens. Interestingly this is just a byproduct of the research that Indians have pursued for decades.
- Microsoft Up yoursIt is profitable because cost to do launches is very less as compared to other space agencies. Another reason to invest in it is to be self sufficient with basic technology like better weather forecasting (being a agrarian economy, it's a must) and own GPS system (much needed because of double threat on border)
- I don't understand the opinion why space exploration/research is considered as luxury which you deserve only if you solve all other social problems of your country. Yeah sure, India has a lot of issues with poverty and hunger. But having a space organization and fixing these issues together is possible. And these satellite launches are not just a waste of money if you think about it. One of the biggest use i can think of could be it helps provide more accurate weather predictions.
To all those saying, you could put same money to better use, the budget provided to ISRO is a very small part of Indian economy and expenditures.
- Classic example of if things can be achieved cheaper with same quality, the world will go there. Same as the Russian programme, now a days they are the ones ferrying astronauts.
A few days back i argued about hacks in life, the goods and bads, and gave a good example about the mars programme by India, this is yet another example of how Indian hacks are good
- So you think America saved the world from the nazis? Oh you poor soul. 27 Million soviets gave their lives fighting Nazi Germany *before* America opened a front against Germany. American companies were busy underwriting loans for nazis as well as allies until then. Admittedly US government had directed its companies to not be involved with any business dealings with the Germans. However ever after the war the US government didn’t take any action against these rich companies.
The red army reached Berlin first and then Americans reached it. America was not interested in European squabbles. It was interested in acquiring German technology.Dec 2, 20181
- Fair enough. Edit saved the world with won the war. The end result was the greatest expansion in democracy and capitalism (and wealth) the world has seen. Lots of pain and misery and wrongs done along the way but I’m certain the world is better off today than it would have been in a scenario where the nazis or Soviets would have won.
- Again, America won the war? America bombed Japan 2 days *after* it surrendered. That is hardly “winning”. No country on this planet, including Nazi Germany & Soviet Union, has dropped a nuke on unarmed civilians *twice* after their country’s government surrendered. History books won’t say this because history is written by the victors.
Capitalism and its expansion has helped Americans the most while driving people in the rest of the world, particularly Asia, into poverty at alarming rates. US has blocked India from acquiring technology that will benefit its people. It has put sanctions on India to accomplish this. India’s space program and specifically the rocket engines were developed despite these difficulties. Today they’re not being used to build ICBMs so we can nuke countries. They’re being used to generate income for the GoI to augment it’s resources to invest in education, sanitation and infrastructure.
- Citibank / Finance$$>RSUMy interest is not sacrificing myself for the world. My interest is my county and my family. I can only hope we have better walls and higher standards for immigration.
By the way, please show me the ROI on this investment. Guessing it is less that that silly statue that was built. This has as much to do about helping the people as North Koreans.
- Uber india launched mars rower almost within a week Nasa launched. That was a problem not solved at that point and India solved it with the "1970's" technology.
NASA doesn't share technology with India for us to implement blueprints. India invented on their own. So even if NASA was ahead of the game it doesn't mean India had all the technology available in open domain.
- No “American” has contributed towards America’s space program. The tech was stolen from Nazi Germany and when American “scientists” failed miserably to put even a single rocket in space you used German POWs to make it happen. Look up Wernher von Braun who was the nazi scientist turned American POW who built the whole “American” space program.Dec 2, 20182
- Microsoft r2iThe only reasons India has not got a bigass serving of 'freedom and liberty' is because we made our nuclear weapons, ICBMs, rockets, remote sensing satellites and GPS for 1/3 of the planet. So yeah, I'd say that rocket is pretty darn important however poor the rest of the county is.
- Microsoft HellohaloI have a feeling that all these tech things may not matter as long as population growth is this high. Indian population was a half of China at 0.6 billion when I was a kid but now it is about to surpass China at 1.3B. It might be a chicken and egg problem but I think India needs to have a sizable middle class to succeed.
Right now, lots of things are focused on elite class and their kids (so they can get a job at other wealthy nation). GDP per capital is 25 times less than US. Most of Blind people are from upper middle class in India and lived in bubble (eg private school and rich neighborhood) and probably don’t even know what is like being a middle class.
Until this improves, it doesn’t matter how many rich Indians are there or how advanced tech is. Most of people are in hardships and people of other nations would not recognize such success since it doesn’t help most. It is actually worse as it means resources are not distributed fairly and the country cares about upper or upper middle class people who are at top 5% in terms of wealth, power and education.
I really hope India to succeed to greater scale than China is. It will most likely have 2x population of China after decades. I think the country should start caring less about jobs for elites such as software engineers and should start focussing on well being of general population including creating business for those people and trying to educate underprivileged people. High school education should teach various subjects to raise good citizens rather than focusing on science and engineering.
- You can only rocket, but no work in ground, no infrastructure, corruption everywhere