300 employees threaten to leave Microsoft over ICE contract.
Google / EngsergeymoreJun 22
- Goodbye and good riddance. I agree that these actions by the administration are deplorable, but government agencies are not going to be swayed by this. What, you think that Google won't take this contract? Amazon? Should tire companies stop selling tires to the government? What about toilet paper?
If a company is building evil tech for the government, that's one thing. But in this case, it's basically toilet paper. The toilet paper is not evil.
- Microsoft / PMtechgirl18Actually, Google employees are already quitting in response to a Pentagon contract http://fortune.com/2018/05/14/report-google-employees-resign-pentagon-contract/ and Amazon employees are all demanding ICE contracts end https://www.zdnet.com/article/now-amazon-employees-rebel-end-police-facial-recognition-contracts-ice-support/. There has to be a code of ethics for how AI is used for and by what entity. When's the last time you put your neck on the line giving voice to the voiceless? It's brave regardless of what you think.Jun 224
- @techgirl, Google was literally developing drone hunter tech. That's not toilet paper, that's a shotgun, and if Microsoft is doing something similar, I agree with the protestors.
My read of what is actually the case here, though, is that we are providing a contract for innocuous cloud services, O365, etc. Taking that away might actually put ICE detainees at risk due to reducing the protections on their PII. In other words, the world is complicated, and while I respect the right of these folks to protest, and even the fundamental intent, the specific action is misguided.
Hell, my understanding is that nuclear ICBMs in the US run on XP. You want to protest something, perhaps that might be a better use of time.
- MicrosoftseemsfastrBreaking: Nike employees also plan walk out due to ICE agents wearing Nike sneakers
- Sadly I believe our leadership is so scared of liberal media hate that we'll do anything to be lauded over positively by the left.