Advice Needed: H1B vs new job

Intel / Eng dp-hard
Mar 5 11 Comments

I am a student on F1 - OPT working at Intel for a while now. I have been looking for other opportunities and have a promising one from Amazon coming up soon. The problem is that Intel will be applying for my H1B visa lottery and and I have the Amazon interview next week. I am not sure if Amazon will be able to file for my Visa on time if I confirm by third week of March. Should I still go for the interview or should I just tell them my concerns?

comments

Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 11 Comments
  • Microsoft BozoJef
    Interview. Wait until you hear about your H1. Ask Amazon to wait if you get H1.
    Mar 5 0
  • Cerner Czfx65
    Just proceed with your Amazon interview next week. Don't reveal anything right know.
    Here are the 2 possible cases once you receive an offer from Amazon.
    1- You will know by May end if your h1 petition is picked up in the lottery. If yes, then let the recruiter know that you will join once your petition is approved with Intel. If not, then you can join immediately in June.
    Mar 5 4
    • Accolade rubinhood
      Sometime It takes July- August to know whether application picked up or not
      Mar 5
    • Cerner Czfx65
      That is very unlikely unless there is some error on uscis side. We can check with DSO to know if our SEVIS is updated or not.
      Mar 5
    • Akamai Technologies dut
      Lol..I got to know mine picked up in lottery in september!
      Mar 6
    • Cerner Czfx65
      You were one of the lucky ones then. USCIS completes the data entry by June.
      Mar 6
  • TextNow Morgand
    Move to Canada
    Mar 5 0
  • Intel dreamforce
    I wouldn’t risk H1 for jobs, you will get plenty of jobs, H1 is limited. That being said, interview for Amazon, they will wait if it all goes well, mostly Amazon is always hiring and even if the team you interview for can’t wait the recruiters will be able to move you to another team. Definitely focus on getting H1 first.
    Mar 7 0
  • Accolade rubinhood
    Yes they can. Try to get Amazon done by 16-17th March. In a worst case you already have a job from Intel
    Mar 5 0
  • CLARA analytics
    ethanhunt7

    CLARA analytics

    PRE
    Amazon
    BIO
    Strategy and Analytics
    ethanhunt7more
    Had a similar situation but a month ago.
    Interviewed with Amazon and Facebook. Have offers from both, and they both have a cutoff date of joining being March 15 in order to be considered for H1B filing. The immigration team needs to start with LCA which takes time.

    I’m sorry but you’re too late for this.

    Having said that, it doesn’t hurt to interview. If you get an offer and you like it, you can join and skip this H1B attempt (assuming you have STEM extension and two more attempts after this). I was told this by Netflix, and I decided not to continue in their process (since I had already cleared Amazon, and Facebook was in final stages).
    Mar 5 1
    • Intel liveman
      What is LCA and who give it? What is practical time to get it?
      Mar 18