Dear airbnb folks. I got an offer from Airbnb. Impressive company. The recruiter mentioned x percent bonus paid out twice a year as long as I meet expectation, but told me that it will not be in offer letter. What does this mean? Will there be a bonus or not?
TOP 17 Comments
- Intel / Otherbezo💲moreTell them you accept the offer, but your signature won't be on the offer letter
- Airbnb nbbhccThe bonus is fairly new and I don’t think the rules are defined for 2019 yet. I think it actually depends on company performance more than individual performance right now.
But there is no shenanigans, the bonus is real and depends only on your level. They aren’t going to give you a lower bonus % just because it’s not guaranteed in writing.
- Microsoft / EngGs4478bonus probably depends on your performance, so you might or might not get it. maybe that’s why they don’t mention it.
- Pinger / Engcreate💻The company can choose to pay out any bonus amount at any time. They don't promise to give it. The company might fluctuate the bonus depending on revenue, etc.
- Airbnb AirEvryWhrIt’s not in anyone’s offer but yes we received it in 2018 and going to get it in this feb as well .
Why is it not in offer then? Because it’s temporary. Bonus program is designed initially for only 2 years - 2018 and 2019. Company designed bonus program because since company is not public, employees cannot exercise their RSU so may not have enough real money . Company took a note of it and just gave extra free money to us for 2 years so that company has more time to think about ipo. Would we go ipo in 2020? Don’t know but likely since lot of rsu expiring end of 2020. If not, bonus program may continue even after.
Would bonus end when company go public? I doubt that. Although company designed it as temp solution for liquidity but since employees started counting as their annual comp so it would be hard for company to take it away.
Hopefully this helps.