# Allowance on W-4, need help!

PayPal paypal-sux
May 15 6 Comments

I am on H1b and my wife will be interning this summer and get around 40/hour. So far I filled my federal and state allowance for 2 as we had only 1 source of income.
Should I change it to 1 for the time she is interning and back to 2 once she is done with the internship?
Can someone advise?
Worst case I’ll end up paying IRS a big check end of the year!


Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 6 Comments
  • Amazon unbeknown
    I did 0 for myself and my wife did 2. Best to do it to ensure you don't underpay
    May 15 2
    • PayPal paypal-sux
      Did u do for the whole year or only during her employment?
      May 15
    • Amazon unbeknown
      I have done recently..and will do till the time of her employment
      May 15
  • LinkedIn Zeiwkf5
    If you seriously underpay, you can face penalties.
    May 15 1
    • PayPal paypal-sux
      I will keep that in mind
      May 15
  • Amazon partygal
    Wait, why is everyone telling 2 is bad? I know sounds very dumb, but I copied a friend's w4 when I first moved to US 3 years back . My American friend told me put 2, so I put 2. Is that not Right??
    May 15 0