I am an electrical engineer with Masters degree and 10 yoe working in semiconductors . A lot of compensation discussions on Blind is focussed Software engineers and managers.
I earn a TC of roughly 200k/year. Should I feel disappointed by my income? My spouse certainly feels so. Personally, I enjoy my work and team and am generally satisfied. Am I being too naive?
Location: Bay Area
- Facebook / Mktg person52No. Blind makes everyone feel inadquate. You are one of the top earners in the entire world. And you do it with a fulfilling job you enjoy not some BS hedge fund manager.
- Lol wife made you feel like you don't earn enough? Join the club. Take comfort in knowing that they will never be happy with any amount. Just learn to deal with it
- Thanks for all the positive responses. I see lots of negative reactions towards my spouse. I certainly did not intend to paint here in that light. Considering the forum, I will ignore it. She works at FAANG and feels that a lot of younger people are earning considerably more than me. She will herself start earning more than me soon most likely. She just feels that I am underpaid while I keep pushing back that I will not change my nature of job to chase some mythical (in my head) salary numbers.
We are clearly not hurting on money. I probably wanted a reaffirmation that I am not incorrectly dismissing her opinion.
- New cablindnemoreIf you want to buy a Tesla as your other thread states.. yeah you don’t make enough. All depends on your lifestyle.
- Cypress cc11moreThis is decent number. I always ask folks to check their current market value by attending some interviews. You don’t need to move but try to evaluate yourself interms of package, if you are happy with what you do currently. Nothing wrong in asking your current company to match your value.
It has several other benefits such as how current semiconductor stuffs going and what market expects.
- You are fabulously rich. I make less than a quarter of what you do and I still feel rich, not least because there are millions of people who would love to do my job and could replace me for less any time.