8 yoe Bay Area
Amazon (AWS AI) high L5 TC : 300K
Google (GCP) T4 TC : 295K
I liked the technology/work of AWS team .
8 yoe Bay Area
- Salesforce / Eng torqagentmoreOPGoogle is downleveling me 2 level while amazon is offering a promise to promote to L6 in 1 year .. should I believe them ? I am at L7 at Salesforce
- Amazon / Eng FNcu84moreI’d say go with Google. Consider the culture as well. I doubt the jump to L6 in a year. SDE3 is difficult to get. While L6 promotions are more in AWS, its probably 2 years. But there are exceptions as always.
I know a friend who moved from L5 to L6 in a year and took another 5.5 years to Principal. But he works like crazy. A teammate threatened his way from L5 to L6 in 9 months. He argued that he was hired lower. Moreover the project he was in was in deep red so manager didn’t want to lose him. The project is still deep red, though.Jun 25, 2018 0
- 25k is extremely low sign on. Sign is something you can definitely ask for at least 65k. Google is paying 100k sign on bonus and I know for a fact that Amazon gave 65k sign on bonus to a senior software engineer last week. I lost that candidate over a competitor company I work for.
Remember the team at amazon and google has already liked you so recruiter is going to get you higher sign on to fill the position and meet his/her hiring quota. That's what we do.Jun 12, 2018 3
- I’m a technical recruiter in the bay and I have never seen any engineer get a sign on of 25k in last 6-9mobths..Market has changed. OP can easily get approval for 45-50k which is “average” among FB, Google, Amazon & Linkedin.
Lastly, try to be respectful and humble on this forum. You don’t have to use F words.Jun 18, 2018 1
- Are you absolutely sure it’s a sde2 from aws? They are paying you like a sde3. No matter what they say you have to perform at L6 level to get promoted it looks like they think you are very strong but not enough for a sde3 . Try ask what’s specifics you are lacking for an sde3. The bottom line is you can’t trust their words, if they think you are an sde3 you should already get it. Can you get to sde3 within a year? Absolutely possible I have people hired as sde3, after two weeks his manager realizes he is seriously down leveled and arranged additional interview to get him to PE. So if you are confident that you will be performing like an sde3 within a year nothing stops you from getting there
- This is great answer. I will ask what was lacking . I will ask them what level . They took my interview for L6/L7 but recruiter told over phone L5 I don’t know if she is telling it right or not . But I heard her saying the word “downleveled” due to some interview loop regarding leadership principles . I am currently performing a amazon L6 equivalent role (Lead SDE level 7) in Salesforce and I am pretty confident I can take care Amazon L6 responsibilities.
- Amazon Foogle8 yoe gets SDE-2 at Amazon and L4 at Google
For sure there are exceptions!
Principal at Salesforce can very well be an exception!
Usually external L6 hires at Amazon at people who have been In the industry for 10+ years!
Pay is good for an SDE-2. I have seen it around 280k, you might have negotiated well for 300k!
Also 185k is the max for any level in Bay area.
I personally will take the Google offer if I were you!
Any change Google can offer you L5?
- Google UBdG56If you’re at as high a level at salesforce why would you leave. Goog L6, Amazon L7 must be making ~400k to start? Make sure you’re getting more comp before leaving to different companies to get under leveled.
- Why do you want to go from Principle mts to l5 l6? What’s your current tc?