I think that's crazy!!! Being contacted by Amazon HR, and being told Amazon L5 is Google's L6. I'm 6 at G now.
TOP 61 Comments
- Microsoft horizontalReply saying,
I have a higher expectation on Amazon than most other employers. If I find someone junior who is looking for a job, I will make sure to refer to Amazon level 5.
Meanwhile I have to reply to 10 other Amazon recruiters spamming my inbox.
- Facebook CorkiPretty sure the recruiter has it backwards. I was L5 at Google and had offers for E5 at FB and L6 at Amazon.
- Amazon ZonnerLol not sure you should really bother going the Google -> Amazon direction anyway, for quality of life and engineering appreciation sake. This is an example of why, lol
- Amazon sillyseamoreAmazon recruiting is a joke. I suggest finding a competent recruiter and forgetting this one
- Amazon syrbskcb4-12 years of exp for a lvl 5? I've seen fresh grads get lvl 5 after a year and a half of exp.
- Homeaway ppMg64That’s ridiculous. Amazon L5 is a terminal level. That is, there is no expectation for you to move up. So you can stay as an L5 forever and you would get your stock and raises. As a result they have folks with 5-to-15 years of experience.
You can ask to be taken though an L6 loop and then make that determination as opposed to make it on the onset.
- Amazon / EngjNeo42It seems that the SDE 2 terminal level is not as easy as it sounds. I’ve seen posts on Blind stating that some orgs/teams don’t support that notion. And from what I’ve seen being an SDE 2 puts a big target on your back, and SDMs will harass the SDE 2s who have “leveled off” in their contributions or made ordinary mistakes.
- Recruiter is just having fun with you. There isn’t that much discrepancy... that too in amazon shopping? No way
- Amazon book563Some recruiters just don’t have enough industry experience to know the differences in levels across companies. One way to deal with it is to say what your current total comp is and ask if the role is in line with your expectations. She will come back with a different role. Btw, we are looking for L6 and L7 engineers here in Seattle for an AWS team. Reach out to me if you’re interested in learning more.
- Amazon outoforderDon’t take it personally. There are always some dumb recruiters. They need to meet their quota. Multiple AWS recruiters contacted me on LinkedIn while I was already working at AWS!
Also, from some other company two recruiters contacted me. One for a 350k Tc permanent position but another contacted me for 150k contractual position.
- Amazon gte305fUltimately the difference between an L5 and L6 at Amazon is system design/distributed systems knowledge. They just optimize for different things. You can ace a L5 interview and the might add another system design loop to check you for a L6. Your recruiter doesn't understand how it works
- Apple ShqwAmazon L5 pays about 1/3 of Google L6. Amazon is cheap, guess the recruiters are paid minimum wage