I got offers from Amazon and Facebook
Base - 160k with 10% bonus
Stocks - 76k dollars / year
Tc - 253k
Amazon matched Facebook L5 -
Base - 160k
Stocks/bonus - 96k
Tc - 256k
Yoe - 2 years with masters
The offers are pretty comparable except the Facebook offer is in ny and Amazon is in Seattle. That automatically means that my money in Seattle would be approx 8% more than what it would be in New York.
I tried to explain that to the recruiter, she said that Facebook doesn't compensate for living expenses. So regardless of what location you work at, you will still get the same package. At the same time they are only offering NY to me. How can I put this point across so they make the offer more comparable?
I also think Facebook offers some really good sign on bonus. When I asked the recruiter about it, she said that Facebook doesn't offer joining bonus nowadays. I told them that my research says otherwise so she switched to saying that this particular team doesn't do joining bonus. Which is odd.
If Facebook agrees, I am leaning more towards them because of the work. If I can get Facebook to be more competitive, I would happily accept.
I got offers from Amazon and Facebook
- Facebook public2How is this not incredibly obvious? Unless maybe you are married and love ecom and clouds?
- Accept the Amazon offer. It’s 3k more, lower col, and higher level. You can’t go wrong here.
- New hujcxtWhat do people do in Seattle? It appears to be just suburbia, no offence intended. Without kids I'm not sure how I would spend my free time. Please don't say hiking because I'm not going hiking every day.
- You’re going to save more money in Seattle. Plain and simple. Just crunch numbers on exactly how much you’ll save given your lifestyle and make a decision on whether living in nyc is worth that difference for you.
- I thought you told them you want more because of location and they said no? I would tell them 180 base, 300K/4yr stock.
- Rally Health FuPayMe$$$Issue fb an ultimatum to move your position to their Seattle office and also to give you a 50-75k signing bonus. Tell them straight that you would immediately sign if they agree to these terms. If they don’t bite, reject their offer. I am reasonably certain that once they see that you actually followed through by walking away, they would get back to you with what you want. You need to be aggressive when it comes to negotiating because they have the money to give but you need to prove to them that you have the leverage here. You have nothing much to lose and a lot to gain in his situation. If fb for some reason doesn’t budge, you can take the amazon offer and interview next year at fb again anyways!
- Snapchat L6; >12yoeWhich team in Amazon?
Pros for Amazon:
* Being in headquarters.
* Their leadership principles make a IC a good team player.
* This starting pay won't grow much in the coming years. If TC is all you care about, stay far away from Amazon.
* Growing to L6 is going to take several years. May not happen at all as well. L5 is the terminal level at Amazon.
* Personally, but for CoL, and the great 3 months that is the summer, I would never live in Seattle. But if you are into mountains, or some winter sports, you will love it.
* Much smaller than Amazon and very likely most teams do something that's needed.
* Promo is around the corner
* Refreshers and in general you can expect pay to increase consistently well.
* Not HQ. Not a big deal now. But as you grow, it will become one.
* Very likely poorer wlb than Amazon but I would take that any day at your age knowing that I would be compensated well.
At Amazon, it's hard work and experience. At FB, it's harder work, experience and better pay in the longer run. You choose.
- The way I look at it, you get way more diversity to move among businesses in Amazon, if all other things are the same. Facebook is pretty much more of the same everywhere you go even if you transfer to subsidiaries, with the exception of Oculus.
You save a lot more money in Seattle and live in a way more beautiful place although that can be a bit subjective.
Standard of living in the same income will be higher in Seattle too.
- Lol you should pick fb...
- perks alone easily add 15k a year
- best refreshers, greatly exceeds is 2x & redefines is 3x
- culture is much much better
- wlb is team dependent, anything outside ads and video has good wlb if you don't target for exceeds expectation and above