I was interviewed for a SDE role a couple of weeks ago. My recruiter gave a verbal offer and asked me to talk to the hiring manager before they extend me the offer. The manager talked about the team culture and started asking LP questions and technical questions which I assume is a standard process. What's weird was, he was expecting me to tell him the code verbally over the call. He didn't seem to be interested or satisfied with my answers. Can the hiring manager rescind the offer? Is there a possibility that I may not get the offer ? The recruiter who was very active is not responding to my emails.
TOP 23 Comments
- VMware offshoreDamn some of the hiring manager have unrealistic expectations, code verbally over phone.
- Was the hiring manager not of the team you interviewed for? After my interview and they gave a verbal offer, I asked for more team options and had conversations with a few managers some of which asked me a lot of questions.
Also Amazon doesn't seem to like giving written offers until you say you're going to accept.
- Sometimes recruiters are very pushy on the managers to take on candidates who barely passed the interview. The manager might be looking for a strong candidate and recruiters would tell the managers you should take the candidate since the loop already approved. There were couple of folks who landed on my team like that and oh wow the pain of moving them out ...Jul 5 0
- Apple / Eng neverSt0pmoreI don't think you will get the offer. If you get it it's good for you. Just move on to the next.
This comment was deleted by original commenter.
- He’s probably interviewing others because the hiring manager has cast doubt. Unlikely to get an offer
- Yep, ultimately the hiring manager is the final say. They’re not hiring someone unless that HM decides he/she wants you. Sounds like the HM has doubts about your fit enough to want to keep looking. Will end one of 2 ways - if they don’t find someone else better, the recruiter is going to reach out to you and say, hey - sorry, it’s a holiday week and everyone has been off, here’s the offer. Or they’ll get back next week and say that the hiring manager had decided not to proceed.
- It could be the opening closed with another hire and you were being circulated for hire by other teams