I'm starting a new job and I'm scared shitless. I feel like I'm a fraud and don't deserve to be around these amazing people at this amazing company. I'm struggling to not have a freakout. Halp.
TOP 14 Comments
- PayPal da anomalyCome to PayPal. You have zero chance of imposter syndrome once you meet your peers.
- Airbnb / EngabanicoI’ve been there. I’ve also felt it some at Airbnb. But they’re probably not as amazing as they seem.
- Intel / EngDonaldDD'sI switched recently within HW, so a different scope. But you should be lost for a few weeks. If anybody could immediately step in to be an expert, then anybody could do the job.
Ask a lot of questions, it will show that you are proactive and you will learn. The only stupid questions are the ones that aren't asked due to ego.Mar 131
- Cisco SipowiczBeen there a few times. Still feel that way sometimes. Colleagues have told me I’m amazing, knowledgeable, etc. and I’m still surprised. Had to stop the habit of trying to downplay my talents and just accept a compliment with grace. You’ll relax after you’ve been there a few months. Best of luck!
- American Airlines lhg403
- New / ProjectnGJz24moreRead How Women Rise by Sally Helhesen and Marshall Goldsmith. While not directly about imposter syndrome, it WILL help you see how/if you’re truly sabotaging yourself.
I also recommend The First 90 Days by Michael D Watkins. Gives you the framework for success in a new role.