Anyone else get pretty terrible anxiety around interviewing?Feb 11
I only interview every few years, but I always get terrible anxiety around interviewing, enough that I want to crawl in bed and just be done with everything. Is this common?
- New / EngsparkedI highly recommend interviewing regularly to help quell this; just getting in front of someone and going through the motions regularly will keep the anxiety at bay; esp when you aren’t in the mindset of “I need to nail this”. It relieves the stress and pressure and who knows you may find yourself with an offer from a company you never intended to work for that you can’t turn down
- Apple 🗣ur🧠Starting the process myself. It’s just all kinds of ass pain. Although to be honest my nervousness factor has diminished a lot because I frankly don’t care if I get a no hire. I’m happy with my current position and TC. I just don’t like going through the grinding prep. Monumental waste of personal time. This industry is just shooting itself in its foot with this interview system.
We’re really not hiring the best and brightest anymore. Only the ones who grind and excel at rote learning.
- Airo Health eooB85I get anxiety right when the interview starts or when I get a weird question. My ability to think just goes to take a shit and I just don’t know why. If I could just calm down and think it through, I know I would get it. But performing in front of someone else has started to bring about weird tones of anxiety.
- CEMEX / EngginoI had this type of experiences when I started interviewing. Then I learned through a study how pro athletes overcome pressure in games and started to apply myself, finding myself way successful in interviews. The trick is in trading your anxiety for excitement. I would wire myself to be hyped and excited for a hard question I could solve. Turned out showing a lot of passion and energy in interviews.
- New usernamеMy god, YES! I just finished phone screen with Facebook. 10 minutes ago. What a fuck**n idiot I am....I was struggling with the easiest problem in the world. When I say the easiest, it's a goddamnit Leetcode Infant level. Before the interview even started, the guy told me that prior to Facebook, he worked at Palantir for 5+ years. That's when my anxiety level just went to the moon. My god, the worst interview I ever had.
- Pinger / Engcreate💻I am looking at the tentative schedule of interviews I will do from May to July, and it is a little scary to see that my 8-month prep time is running out.
Will definitely have some anxiety as those get closer, but I don't think it will interfere with my prep work. On the day of the interviews, I probably won't sleep well, but the adrenaline during the interviews keeps me performing well / not feeling tired.