Will Apple ever make their own search engine? A lot of searches come from iPhone so it would be a massive business for them I would think. I’m kind of surprised they didn’t buy yahoo when it was for sale and fix it up. I know google is king at search engine but I feel like Apple has that big ecosystem that a lot of iPhone users would use it. Thoughts?
TOP 22 Comments
- Symantec / Cust. Srv. rockabilymoreAlso Apple typically picks up small, healthy companies not a basket case liability like Yahoo. If they ever get into search it would be someone like a DuckDuckGo which is also paranoid about privacy and can fit in with Apple ethos.
- Simple. Apple is not in the business of selling your data for ad revenue. That’s Google’s game. Apple has other ways to collect money from you.
- It’s not their DNA. They’re not a information/data company. Google is already cutting them a check for keeping google as their default search engine. They make (great) devices and weave experiences around those devices. They’re better off getting into AR/VR or building the ultimate car.
- Microsoft has dipped it’s toes into a lot of businesses. It was their strategy in 80s and 90s to start a business to compete with their biggest perceived thread. .Net for Java/Sun Micro. Zune to put pricing pressure on iPods which was 97% of Apple’s revenue pre-iPhone, Bing for Google. SQL server for Oracle.
They don’t care for these business to be hyper successful. They just don’t want to leave the space competition-free. BTW as surprising as it sounds, Bing is a profitable business.
- New / Product HookedYes, but google search is a potential threat to a software operating system, since it is a doorway. Especially goven Google’s inroads into Microsoft areas. So, it makes sense for Microsoft to try to compete to fight a potential churn.
Not saying they’re doing a good job, but it’s better than yahoo, or ask ...
- Oath ScaramooshIf you use iphone you will see apple search on the left most tab. I use it more than google search. The best thing about apple search is that its searches within apps on your phone too. For instance, search for parks and recs,.. click on the tv show tab and it will start on your phone’s netflix app.
- Apple Bibi8There are three reasons to build something.. 1) Make money 2) Build something of value 3) 1+2
For Apple, there’s no point in reinventing the wheel unless there is additional value to be added. Maybe if it goes on a crusade against the privacy issues related to search, it may happen but IMO the effort is not worth it yet.
- Sprint lxCy58It’s way too late for that. They had an opportunity to build a search engine a few years back but decided not to. Google has a pretty much perfect search engine so there’s no reason for Apple to risk billions and gamble their reputation on building something that we already have.