Concerning immigrants, is speaking English a sign of assimilation? Should immigrants have to learn English? The US doesn’t have an official language.
Flagged by the community.
- If you don't care about diversity come with us in Fintech. Don't care what color you are or how you fuck or who you voted for, just produce- simple as that. Just remember that you're paid to produce, not to complain. All these complaints are suppressed in the form of tc.
- “Biggest problem with America these days is Whites afraid to speak the truth. (...)”
Hey OP! I am white and not afraid to speak the truth. Diversity is a fact of life. Diversity is source of strength. Deal with it.
Also, deal with your insecurities, your irrational fears, and your hypocrisy.
So tired of those inbred fascist morons.Jan 284
- Snapchat MAGA2020!“Official language” is just a technicality but English is the de facto official language. The law requires basic English skills for naturalization. Speak whatever you want but you need to have at least basic English skills.
- I don’t get it. If I move to another country, I should learn the language. The DMV equivalent in other countries shouldn’t cater to my English speaking. If I move to Germany, I need to learn German. I need to drive and vote in German. The US, and especially California, is too coddling.
- Ok, you have an argument for Germany? Or European countries that speak English? Great. But I would never expect that to be the case. If I went to China, I’d be fucked. I would need to learn mandarin or Cantonese. But you move to the US.... no, no need to learn English. Everything is in your native language. The DMV tests, the voting ballots.... why? Why do we have to cater to the world? Assimilation isn’t a bad thing. Speak your native tongue at home, who cares. But government and schools should be in one language.
- Well, the white European Invaders didn't bother to assimilate into the native American culture and learn their naive American language. Instead, they killed the native Americans and forced the real Americans to learn English, a foreign language brought by white imperial Invaders.
- What's with your entitlement to force other people to assimilate into your culture and speak your language though?
Of course we should get on and acknowledge what's already happened. But the unjust colonization should not grant the invaders the privilege to force other people centuries later to speak their language.
- The native Americans' language should be the official language of the United States, instead of English, a language brought from white Invaders.
- Apple 6’3” sweIt’s best to just live with the truth. Our country was founded on genocide and built by the backs of slaves and move on. Once good thing Germany does is they don’t sugar coat their history, so they don’t forget. But it doesn’t take away what your country is today and what it’s become. We don’t have an official language because we don’t have 3-4 borders each speaking different languages to cause confusion. It is defacto English. If you don’t learn it, you can’t communicate and you don’t integrate. It’s not that complicated.
- Google w61MqhPretty funny that Americans are going back and forth over a language requirement when it's not even for debate in any other country.
There is such a thing as being too generous, folks.
- Pinterest tyip463sYet another racist post. I’m more worried about immigrants assimilating into this frustration and hate. You really make us feel bitter and lose our romantic vision of the American Dream, when we see how you treat each other. I never knew what systemic racism and xenophobia really were, until I came here.
- Oath NjklI can't stand people who don't speak good English. Makes communicating frustrating and inefficient. If you're going to come to the US and plan on staying and building your career here, then at least learn proper English. There is really no excuse. There are dozens free resources. Practice 30-60mins a night and you will figure it out in no time. The worst when I see people who have been here for 5+ yrs and still barely speak English. Like they aren't even making an effort. Gtfo
- Salesforce pestaplaI can’t stand people who don’t speak good English [sic] either
Do you speak any other languages? Speaking another language well becomes a matter of talent later in life. There are literally certain phonemes that the brain loses its ability to discern as an infant assimilates its native language. There are many sounds that you would not be able to reproduce consistently even with a gun pointed to your head in foreign languages just because your brain can’t register it. Foreign languages are not trivial.
- Other than the aboriginal native American language, all other languages should be considered equally foreign. English is a foreign language used by English Invaders, and thus is not in any way more American than, let's say, Chinese.
- Speaking english is a sign of assimilation. Immigrants to any english-speaking countries should *want* to learn english for the betterment of themselves and society.
If they don’t want to they can kindly gtfo and revert back.
Source: Wife is an immigrant, I’m learning her language to prepare to become an immigrant to her country
- Amazon 🇺🇸#1America number one! 🇺🇸
Immigrants should all learn English or GTFO! They voluntarily come to my country so they should learn to speak my language! My country, my rules!
- Adobe 209TeenLearning English definitely gives an advantage. At the same time, don’t give up traditions, culture, and teaching your children languages from their family. It is possible to be multicultural and have a strong community. Multiculturalism is what makes cities around the US vibrant and alive. Lack of diversity is boring.
When people say “assimilation”, it’s assimilation to what? SV? NYC? Seattle? LA? Honolulu? Anchorage? New Orleans?
- Amazon ya!Learning English definitely gives you a huge advantage in the job market. I would resist any law that forced English on people but my advice to every immigrant is focus on becoming fluent.
You can get jobs within your language bubble but there's a real ceiling on your career and comp off you don't learn English.
This includes tech. You can get a job in the US as an SDE with poor English skills and be a pretty good sde1 or even sde2, but you won't go much further than that.