"Automation will bring manufacture jobs back to US...
... regardless the union and high labor cost" someone said.
Well guess that glitch is going to be fixed
- New heytheree😑 aoc sometimes is so naive. She’s an incredible human being but stuck in her naïveté
- Microsoft / EngbraneI actually think AOC might just win the presidency in 2024 : she knows what gets the buzz, her ideas are just outstanding enough to stand out among the Democratic crowd and get the eyeballs, and knows how to get an audience. I don't agree with some of her views, but on the surface her ideas would definitely get more love until further study. that's exactly what helped Trump - he was like fuck nuance, and just stand out.Mar 112
- Wasn’t she just saying that “when Bill Gates says tax robots... that’s just a way to say ‘tax corporations’”?
Is this one of those time where when a man says something bold everyone goes “oh a maverick” and when a woman says the same thing they go “how irrational and foolish, stay in your lane little girl!”?
- Two points:
1) Actual Bill Gates comment “Certainly there will be taxes that relate to automation. Right now, the human worker who does, say, $50,000 worth of work in a factory, that income is taxed and you get income tax, social security tax, all those things. If a robot comes in to do the same thing, you’d think that we’d tax the robot at a similar level.”
“At a similar level” is what makes Bill Gates right. Not the d**k. If he had also suggested such ridiculous rates, he would be wrong too. His dick does not save him .
2) 90% tax rates are definitely a trait of socialist country. No business will ever survive at that level of taxes. 90% of what ? The production, the maintenance cost, capital investment???
Social democracy is kind of socialism :)Mar 113
- Social Democracy is socialism according to contemporary US conservatives who also think that anyone to the left of Newt Gingrich is a socialist. But it’s really just capitalism with social programs, not socialism.
Wikipedia: “Social democracy is a political, social and economic ideology that supports economic and social interventions to promote social justice within the framework of a liberal democratic polity and a capitalist economy.”
Just because something isn’t neoliberal/libertarian doesn’t make it socialist.
- Social Democracy is a kind of socialism and also a kind of capitalism as it is mix of both the ideologies. The world is not black and white. There is full spectrum of choices. I did not say it “is” socialism - I understand the benefits.
Agree we need state intervention for social welfare. But 90% tax rate is no way to do this. This sounds really brilliant- but has failed everywhere it has been tried.
My specific problem is with 90%, not the concept of taxing robots - which by the way is already taxed as capital investment.
Agree to your last part. Socialism, capitalism and democracy are all full spectrum mixture. They all have good and bad traits and Scandavian countries have shown Social Democracy can have benefits.
- Imaven : Socialism and capitalism are two extremes. In between lies all kinds of mixture models - socialist democracy is one of those.
Socialist democracy does not mean a country has to be completely socialist in terms of public ownership of production. It means Government can intervene in certain areas of welfare but market functions as pure capitalist. If you believe USA is pure capitalist, it must have allowed all the major banks to collapse during the bust. As is said, “you are socialist when poor and capitalist when rich” :)
- I have been following her for some time and started to believe “given enough time and a keyboard, a monkey can type out a Shakespearean novel”
She is all over the news for all of the reasons. Few times she makes real sense but many a times she is just flat wrong to the level of non-sense.
- Oracle smirandaI really don’t under people who support radical people like her.
There is no way in HELL that AMZN was bad for NY with 9:1 return ratio.
People like her and POTUS exploit democracy.
This comment was deleted by original commenter.
- How are the robots going to build the train tracks to Hawaii if we tax them at 90%?!
- Indeed cyhy46Anybody who seriously believes that robots will push us all into permanent unemployment should be scraping up every spare dollar they have into investments in robots and robot companies
- I am actually betting this will happen in next 50 years. I am very optimistic that we will develop new economic model to manage humanity as consumers and robots as producers.
Alas , the greed and hunger for power will not go away and this would mean their would be conflict in new world as well. But Humans waking up everyday at 8 AM to go to office is most unnatural thing and needs a better solve.Mar 130
- Concept isn’t that nuts. You hire a factory worker and that worker pays income tax, pays into SS/Medicare, and spends their income into the economy. You replace the worker with a robot and the robot doesn’t do the same thing.
The idea is the employer should pay similar taxes that the worker paid when they’re automated away. It’s the same concept the H1Bs complain about when they pay payroll taxes.
It’s not likely to become reality, but it’s not a wrong concept either.
- Could look at it that way. Or would make more sense is impose a value added tax (VAT) to things built by robots. That’s what this tax is intended to do. You take something and modify it to add value, and that added value incurs a tax.
And the nice thing about this is countries can wield VAT surgically for specific products from specific countries as well.
But the problem with VAT is the cost is usually just passed on to the consumer (WTMWB).