I'm SDE2 in Azure team, aged 30 with 8yrs exp. Do you think I should focus my career with Azure/Cloud Computing for long term (10+ years) or you recommend that I start learning ML online to save my career?
- Google FacebookHaha
It’s kinda amusing to observe MS and Amazon folks reaction, but trust me, you can’t even imagine how huge google’s cloud potential is and what it can do. I was also skeptical before joined the company and got accesses to internal docs. It’s just not wrapped in a nice convenient customer services yet. And once that happens, external clients would finally get access to the power behind world’s largest search engine. Not going to convince anyone, just remember my words in a few years.Mar 2, 2018 2
- Nah cuz.... https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/12/amazon-lost-cloud-market-share-to-microsoft-in-the-fourth-quarter-keybanc.html
- ML is 90% backend/infra work, 10%applied research. You don’t need to worry about not being able to get a job in the 90% part
- The applied researchers are not good programmers. It’s hard to find someone that is good at both. Maybe some companies have rich enough pool of applicants to be able to select from top notch applied researchers who are good programmers to do infra works.
The reason I said you don’t need to worry about it is that the concepts are the same, distributed systems, scalable designs, etc. Unless you are working on operating systems, your backend/infra knowledge is easily transferableMar 4, 2018 0
- ML is paying right now and will continue to in the foreseeable future. Let's keep it real though, 10 years from who knows what will be hot and in demand. The real question you should ask yourself is what am I good at and what do I enjoy? Figure that out and then go do that!
- It will sure be relevant, almost the only thing that will be relevant. The cloud is huge though, there are so many layers in the stack, so many services. Many of them will evolve, disappear, merge. Being inside the cloud will help you better understand the dynamics of the business and find what interests you.