Offer from bcg as consultant level ($210k base + 50% bonus target).. but have offer from a good startup with TC = 320k (195k base). 7yrs with phd exp. bcg is midwest office .. startup is here in the bay where i already reside.. which one should I go for, keeping long term career in mind.. with bcg.. i could come back as PM in a big co. or Vc maybe.. (I think).. with engg, I could keep moving up and grow as engr.. but not sure where either of these take me long term (say age 45 plus)...
TOP 19 Comments
- BCG kimchiriceDepends on the startup. If it is not a unicorn/famous brand then I would probably go to BCG for better exit opps.
- What kind of exit opps wud there be given I want to come back to tech .. lets say in Vc role or director? Also.. what level would I need to be in Bcg before fangs or vcs consider me for senior (director and higher) positions? The startup (well not startup.. since close to ipo) is one of the big unicorns..
- Obvious choice - top startup (and much better TC/WLB at that!). Ex-consultants are not really valued especially in technical positions/FAANG. Know this from close sources
- Moving into VC or FANG Director role from McKinsey or BCG is unheard of unless you are at Partner level
- Hmm.. they said they are hiring me as consultant since i don’t have prior consulting exp.. they did mention i’m being offered high up on the band and could move to next level (project leader) in 6 months after the first one or two assignments given my exp.. btw, which one would you suggest for long term career growth... both comp and level wise..? Also why / which level did you move dropbox to and when you moved from mck, did you move as Director?