Buy 2 bed 2 bath condo or 3 bed 2 bath house?
214 VOTESSELECT ONLY ONE ANSWER
- Amazon Dkdnejskdnmore3x2 house has some appreciation potential, but 2x2 solves the problem with 1/3 price
- Housing appreciation after tax, maintenance, and transfer fees is no greater than inflation,
particularly if you are living there less than 5 years. So then your only argument is whether the risk/reward of 5-10x leverage is worth it. It’s worked out for a generation as rates have declined from 20% to 3%, but that trend is over.
The kids part of it is that you limit your geographical mobility by purchasing. That means you limit yourself on job opportunities, future spouses, school districts, etc. It’s only worth it when there is stability for your kids and the value of creating memories with your family in something you own.Jan 61
- Facebook Pork chopsHow bad is the HOA? 2x2 makes sense, if the HOA isn't bad and if you don't have money saved down for a SFH down payment.
- A lot of engineers are young and just buying condos right now. But they’ll probably want to upgrade to a SFH once they have kids.
New housing developments are almost exclusively condos/apartments and maybe a few townhouses. There are essentially *no* new SFH being built in desirable neighborhoods.
So, if you’re looking for the long term, I’d bet on the house.
- SJ downtown I guess
Anyone know the exact location? And any idea on when the project would start?
Has any location near Apple campus appreciated compared to other parts of Cupertino or Sunnyvale?
I don’t think the google campus is going to have much impact on the SJ downtown housing prices.
- Google euBx84Of course it will have major impact. They want to hire 20k workers in their new downtown sj campus. They already bought all the parcels of land they need from the government. The land is downtown sj near sap center.
For example, new construction townhomes near flea market were 750k in 2017 August. The price jump happened very quickly. The same townhomes are 1million plus now. https://www.zillow.com/community/apex-at-berryessa-crossing/2090734826_zpid/
- 1.5m won’t grow to 2m fast enough but 500k can go to 800-900 easy...