CMU rank: 1
CMU cost: $49k, plus 16 months of full time study without income
GA Tech rank: 9
GA Tech cost: $5k, while working full time and not foregoing any income.
The ML courses look quite similar in both universities.
NOTE: Georgia Tech's online MS in CS with the ML specialization consists of exactly the same courses as the full time in-person MS CS program.
Assuming you were admitted to both programs and wanted to pursue an MS in ML, which would you pick?
CMU rank: 1
- Google / Eng pumaupmaOnline courses in ml are a scam. Sure they'll help you learn that new js framework - but learning a new field from scratch needs time.
- Compare these pages:
The courses are the same, except for the bolded additional courses offered in the OMSCS program. Thus if one doesn't take any of the bolded courses in OMSCS or pursue the thesis or project option in the regular MSCS, the curricula are exactly the same. Both require 30 credits.
In fact, the OMSCS requirements look more stringent because they don't permit any sub 6000 level courses, whereas the MSCS does.
- My coworker did the online MSCS in ML course from GA Tech and now works in ML at a FAANG.
- Chegg snt124I mean you are just attributing that to the CMU degree which is unlikely to be true. Your friend was likely just an outstanding candidate... and not chosen to do that because google was blown away by his masters from CMU
Georgia tech is a top 10 school in CS and ML
Is that difference (CMU vs gtech) worth $50k + full time commitment? Prob notAug 11 0
- How many times are you going to ask this?
Check out this post! "Possible to pursue GA Tech online MS CS while working at Google? (Tech Careers)"
- Amazon / Eng Q.E.D.Why do you want a masters? Is it because you are interested in learning more and willing to pay a lot to do so? If not then I don’t know why you would be taking it because it’s not the best way to move up in this industry