Can I deny an offer that I signed?

AppDirect rocky_road
Jan 11 21 Comments

So I signed an offer before going to the Google interview and expecting to fail (I failed all the other big ones before this interview ...), but the recruiter called me today and told me they want to move forward to team matching step.
What would happen if I deny the other company's offer now? How should I handle this more professionally?

comments

Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 21 Comments
  • Salesforce / Eng
    Ra’salGhul

    Salesforce Eng

    PRE
    Google, Amazon, Microsoft
    BIO
    Exec
    Ra’salGhulmore
    Just make sure you wait until you get an offer from Google sign it etc.
    Jan 11 3
    • AppDirect rocky_road
      OP
      There are only two weeks before the start day, I hope google can show me the package before that.
      Jan 11
    • Salesforce / Eng
      Ra’salGhul

      Salesforce Eng

      PRE
      Google, Amazon, Microsoft
      BIO
      Exec
      Ra’salGhulmore
      Well although not professional, you can always quit after that too.. Google pre match committee is notoriously slow and not a guarantee.. so don’t decline this without getting a written offer to be sure.. we get accepted offers being no shows once in awhile and it is no big deal from HM perspective.. stuff happens and it is a tough market out there..
      Jan 11
    • Gusto zkPS58
      You can also ask to push back your start date
      Jan 11
  • Akamai Technologies / Eng Trn
    It would look unprofessional but it happens all the time.. just explain yourself by calling the recruiter. You can also make up something
    Jan 11 1
    • Apple WPUV58
      Just be prepared to hear some shit from the recruiter to make you feel guilty, unprofessional, etc, as they see their cut fly away.
      Jan 11
  • AQR DVGQ05
    Tell Google you have an offer so they can expedite the process.
    Jan 11 0
  • IBM void**
    I signed an offer because the deadline came and I didn’t have any other offers, then backed out of it when I got another offer I preferred. I couldn’t turn it down and risk not getting any other offers, but I didn’t feel guilty about finishing my other ongoing interview processes.

    Be professional, but try not to personify the company, at the end of the day you have to do what’s best for you. It was a bit uncomfortable, but being fairly transparent about what went into my decision I was lucky to end things on very good terms.
    Jan 11 1
    • AppDirect rocky_road
      OP
      Thank you for sharing your experience!
      Jan 11
  • F5 Networks / Eng etcd
    Sure. It'll be a rocky_road with the other company.
    Jan 11 0
  • Intuit dumb@ss
    Companies don’t give a second thought when they want to lay you off or find another candidate who’s willing to work for cheaper so don’t feel bad/guilty about looking after your own interest. Be nice but don’t forgo what’s best for you and your career growth. If anyone takes it personally then that’s their problem and not yours. They would do what’s best for them too if they were in your situation. Please look after your interest - the company will worry about its own interest! Hope things work out soon for you at Google and congrats! 🍾
    Jan 11 0
  • Snapchat fQgT31
    That's perfectly professional and legal in such a tight market. Be professional and give them a good reason.
    Jan 11 0
  • Microsoft AzPx25
    It looks bad with that company but nothing legal is keeping you from doing it
    Jan 11 0
  • Tesla / QA
    Le Tigre

    Tesla QA

    PRE
    Apple
    Le Tigremore
    Yes
    Jan 11 0
  • Google / Other
    snidely

    Google Other

    BIO
    Flagged by the community
    snidelymore
    TC?
    Jan 11 1
    • AppDirect rocky_road
      OP
      The one I accepted is 320k. I think google one will come after team match?
      Jan 12
  • eBay wafflebay
    Stall and delay until you have passed the background check and sign with google.
    Jan 11 1
    • AppDirect rocky_road
      OP
      That might be too long and Would be hard because they have been pushing me to start early. I might just go ahead and make the decision when google come back and show me the teams. Worse case is to interview other companies if both go sideways.
      Jan 11
  • eBay Paavi
    It helps to know that the company can back off after you sign it too
    Jan 11 1
  • Bank of America / Eng jkQk45
    Yes, seconded.
    Jan 11 0

Join verified employees in our anonymous social network! Download the app!

close