Can I still give interviews after accepting the offer?

Intel / Eng leetc0der
Aug 21 31 Comments

I already accepted an offer 2 days ago.
However, I have few interviews lined up for other companies.

I am on H1B visa and the company will start my H1B transfer in few days.

Can I still give interviews?

What if I get an offer from other company and I don’t want to continue with the previous offer?

I want to know the consequences on the immigration if I don’t join the company after the H1B transfer is done.

Any help on this topic is appreciated.

comments

Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 31 Comments
  • LinkedIn / HR WiWd32
    Don’t accept an offer and then leave to take another. If you make a commitment, see it though.
    Aug 21 6
    • LinkedIn / Eng WiWd32
      Just common decency to keep people/ teams who are expecting you to join in the loop.

      There are many other people who could have been matched to the team you chose. Don’t accept the offer unless you are committed, it’s just common sense.
      Aug 21
    • Intel / Eng leetc0der
      OP
      Things definitely changes over time.

      There shouldn’t be any barriers in getting a better opportunity in future.

      I had the best offer and I accepted but when I get the better one, I think I should definitely consider that.
      Aug 21
    • LinkedIn / Eng WiWd32
      No one is arguing that.

      You should have never signed an offer in that case. You could have communicated to the recruiter that you are waiting to hear back from other companies before you make a final decision. The morally right thing to do is to let the company/team know.
      Aug 21
    • BYTON cJKu57
      I wish the hr/recruiter/companies followed the line of ethics u r spouting here.

      How many times have I been ghosted by recruiter.

      Companies do what's best for them.

      Do they hire people even when they know they might not be able to keep them employed much longer? Sure they do.
      Have I read here on blind about offers being rescinded for bs reasons. Sure I have.
      Aug 21
    • Microsoft techladki
      @LinkedIn what if someone quits after 1 day/1 month after joining? Would you consider that okay because that did stand in their word of joining?
      Aug 21
  • Same but I don't need to worry about the H1B stuff.
    Got a lowball FAANG offer, but I have a few interviews line up.
    Aug 21 6
    • amazon. almost 2YOE but paid as new grad. 108, 24/21, 70k 4yrs
      Aug 21
    • Intel / Eng leetc0der
      OP
      That’s very low
      At least negotiate the current offer.
      Aug 21
    • They didn't negotiate and only gave me 1 week to accept. I didn't have another offer to negotiate.
      Aug 21
    • Intel / Eng leetc0der
      OP
      Not worth joining it then :(
      Aug 21
    • Yeah. I’m interviewing more.
      Aug 21
  • Dropbox / Eng bigbeans
    Not legal advice. But it’s legal to have multiple H1B transfers approved, and the company that you don’t join may withdraw their sponsership later.
    Aug 21 3
    • Intel / Eng leetc0der
      OP
      Can the company sue you for spending time and money in transferring the H1B?
      Aug 21
    • Dropbox / Eng bigbeans
      If not on your contract, I don’t think so. You didn’t really promise anything when they do the transfer, right?
      Aug 21
    • Intel / Eng leetc0der
      OP
      Contract says At will employment
      Aug 21
  • BYTON cJKu57
    Just keep interviewing as long as u want or can.

    Has 0 impact on h1.
    U don't have to go to a company that applied or got h1 approved. U can still go to another.

    U can have multiple h1 approved at a time. U can even work on multiple h1 at a time.
    Aug 21 2
    • Intel / Eng leetc0der
      OP
      Thanks, that helps
      How unethical is it to not join after accepting the offer?

      I assume I will be banned for that company forever.
      Aug 21
    • BYTON cJKu57
      I doubt they will take it personally.

      Some small company might do.
      But most bigger ones dont.
      It's not very nice thing to do. But not the end of life for them.
      Aug 21
  • Schlumberger mgunther2
    I’ve been in the exact situation where I previously interviewed got a job offer and took it because they wouldn’t give an extension on time to decide and I didn’t want to be left with no job. Got another job offer and it was a better fit and I told the other company I could no longer accept the offer. If you were to take another offer try to leave it on good terms and say something about how you appreciate the opportunity and really respect the company but for your personal needs this other company is a better fit.
    Aug 21 1
    • New / Eng
      pulk

      New Eng

      BIO
      Just joined Full Time as Android Developer, after doing my COOP/Internship
      pulkmore
      Thanks, I am in same boat as you. I am thinking as 1st company which gave me offer has 3 months Probation, so I can also quit giving 2 week notice.
      Aug 21
  • GE ifurme
    In the same boat. I have 3 H1Bs going. So, go ahead and attend. Go with the best one. Keep in mind - most of the transfers get RFEs these days. So, plan accordingly and be strategic
    Aug 21 4
    • Intel / Eng leetc0der
      OP
      Out of the track question

      How does RFEs get handle?
      Do you do something from your end or immigration department takes care of it?
      Aug 21
    • GE ifurme
      We need to provide some documentation and immigration team add more to it and formalize
      Aug 21
    • Intel / Eng leetc0der
      OP
      Do you have an example?
      Heard that, you get RFE if your course work doesn’t align with the job description or role
      Aug 21
    • BYTON cJKu57
      Rfe is just request for evidence.

      It can be anything at all related to your h1 application and/or h1 requirements.

      Rfe gets handled by immigration. Sometimes they will ask u for some specific required document (s). And then add to it and forward to USCIS
      Aug 21
  • Accenture M0n1ka
    H1 transfer will take 3-4 weeks to file.. get another offer and tell them you got to change your mind and don’t want to continue with the process.. technically you are not responsible for paying anything unless you signed any contract to reimburse the cost if you fail to join.
    I saw many friends have concurrent offers and multiple transfers filed concurrently
    Aug 21 1
    • Intel / Eng leetc0der
      OP
      Thanks
      I will go ahead with the interviews then
      Aug 21
  • New FoeX55
    I think it would also depend if you scheduled/agreed to the interview before you signed your current offer. Keep in mind, there might be multiple stages of that other interview, so if you don't intend on withdrawing from the other offer you signed, your basically wasting all parties time.
    Aug 21 0