Clarity on EAD extension

Microsoft / Eng

Microsoft Eng

Jun 8 8 Comments

My 1st year on EAD expires in the next two weeks. USCIS has already started processing my EAD extension in the first week of May. But i haven't received my updated EAD card yet.
I am currently on F1.

What happens if I don't get the updated EAD card before the current one expires?


Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 8 Comments
  • Amazon / Data OyhT78
    Yes as long as a decision is pending and you filed for your extension on time, you can continue to work for up to 180 days or until a decision is made.
    Jun 8 1
    • Microsoft nutszy
      And false
      Jun 8
  • Amazon / Data OyhT78
    By the way, I know that rule is true for a i485 EAD..not sure about other types of ead
    Jun 8 1
    • MobileIron loom
      Jun 8
  • Esurance BUVr24
    You should be able to work on ead receipt for 180 days
    Jun 8 1
  • Microsoft / Eng MarvelVsDc
    Wait you're asking this on blind and not to LCA?
    Jun 9 0
  • Amazon new_ew
    The 180 day automatic extension rule applies to certain specific classes of applicants, not everyone on L2 or H4.


    You'll need to talk to your employer, they should be able to take your name off their payroll when you don't have a valid EAD, so you can resume when you get your extension completed.
    Additionally, I've also heard that people request expediting their application citing financial hardship, but I don't know how effective that is or how exactly it is done.
    Jun 8 0