Our company holiday party is in early Jan, as some companies do. I pointed out to my boss today that he scheduled a week long meeting out of town that would involve several of us missing said party. The meeting venue is fluid and could be hosted here. He got my concern but seemed not inclined to change anything. Seems like a poor move to me. Thoughts?
- LinkedIn / EngCarpetCog"A company‘s holiday party is as much political as it is anything else. One wouldn’t just not show up. It’s generally expected that people show up."
This statement would worry me far more than anything else said here so far. I don't think I've worked at a company so far where this felt true, and I hope never to.Dec 3, 20181
- Dropbox / DataGboAlso nobody cares if you don’t show up, get wasted and try to grope someone
- Erickson Living / Other✌️I feel you, my old boss who is now newly minted CIO kept tabs on who attended corporate events. I’m pretty sure nothing has changed since the promotion.
Just say loudly that you’re sad to miss the party due to a work meeting every time you’re in the kitchen with a bigwig.
- Amazon teardrop.cmoreThrow your own holiday party and invite everyone with you except him.
- Microsoft jPzm21OP never said where the week long meeting is taking place. Just out of town. Is it in an exotic location or Vegas or something? Your boss could be setting you up with a way better holiday party or vacation on the company dime.
Or, they just want a valid excuse to not go to some apparently political holiday party
- Synopsys Gsue463Wwoa53 sounds like your boss is an ass. This move shows he doesn't give a crap about the people below him.
Holiday parties are a perk and he's blocking everyone from that perk. Party may or may not be good, you may or may not get shit faced. It doesn't matter. He's blocking all of you and that's a reflection of his management.
Sometimes there are unavoidable business issues, but as you stated that's not the case here. If it was, he needs to state that's the case.
I wouldn't want to be a part of his family either