I got an offer from Uber and they stated 105k annual refresher grant.
The title of the cell in the offer states: “Target discretionary equity refresh”.
And 105k is mentioned in the column under “Annual Target value”.
My understanding is that this means that every year, I would get an equity refresh of 420k, with 105k of it vesting every year.
Is this what you guys understand too?
Other recruiters of different companies told me this was impossible and too high.
Can anyone who just got an offer shed some light on this please?
I of course contacted my Uber recruiter to get some clarification. But I still haven’t heard back and other companies are starting to pressure me to make a decision. Figured I’d ask the community here parallel.
- Microsoft 🔥 🔥 🔥🔥You’re confused because they’re fucking you. Uber offers are notoriously riddled with lies and misgivings.
- Yahoo Thunder!You should probably ask your Uber recruiter for clarification first before asking outside recruiters?
- Epic WherePart!You will get 105k every year which will vest in 3/4 years. So if you keep on getting 105k every year, your TC will keep on increasing by 26k per year.
- You should talk to the recruiter to make sure you’re on the same page on the schedule, the minimum amount guaranteed per year, prorated, etc.
But the offer usually is $105k worth of RSU granted every year, and they vest monthly over 3 years (so you get 1/36 worth every month). To determine how many RSU get, they base it on the market price (and I assume 409a valuation before IPO).
So for the first year, you’d get $105k/3=$35k worth of RSU vested. The second year, you’d get another grant of $105k worth (potentially different number of RSU if stock price changes), so you’d get $35k from the first year’s grant, and $35k from second year’s grant for a total of $70k. For the third year, you’d get another grant so 35+35+35=$105k. For the fourth year, you will only have three grants (second, third, and fourth year grants) active since the first year’s has been paid out, so you’d get 35+35+35=105k again.
As mentioned, this is assuming price stays the same. If stock price goes up in second year, the RSU from first year grant will be worth more than $35k. The number of RSU is fixed and decided a bit before grant time.
- Uber Meyerhofermore105k annual refresher target means that you “may” get up to 100k in refresher grant. Vesting is every month on refresher for 3 years.
The initial grant ( which you have not mentioned) vests over 4 years with 1 year cliff
- Thank you! They never told me anything regarding the 3 years. I assumed it was 4 also given the initial grant that is straightforward enough to not mention it
So what is really confusing me is that the table states:
105k under Annual Target Value
210k under 4Yr Target value
With a foot print for the second one saying:
“Represents 50% of vestes earnings realized over a four year period”
This was screwing my brain to be honest.
- Why would you expect to get 400k refresher? That’s like automatic 600-800k tc depending on starting grant, lol
- I recently got an offer and was extremely confused too. I clarified with my recruiter: Your 210k will vest over 4 yrs with 1 year cliff. 105k is your target refresher at the end of your first year. This will vest over the next 3 years with no cliff.
- It’s not about the company. My recruiter told me my equity refresh would start vesting my first day and all of it would vest the same year. That made my TC look a lot higher than I was. After three clarifications and escalation to a manager, I was able to confirm that neither of those were true.