Can soemone from Cruise share how leveling works? i recently received an offer for Senior level even though there are staff and principal levels. I have 10+ years of experience and in relevant industries. The recruiter tells me that Cruise has extremely high standard for levels and Staff level is reserved for someone who is likely exceptional. wanted to hear from other cruisers if this is for real or if the recruiter is BSing?
TOP 37 Comments
- Cruise Automation haikusGetting staff is easier coming from outside than getting promoted, think about it before making a call.
- New / R&D oopsiesWhen I got an offer for a senior engineering position, the recruiter told me that there are almost no staff engineers (I think he specifically said there were only 5, not sure if true), and almost everyone with experience is hired into "senior" roles. I have fewer yoe compared to op, but I have a phd
- SE, Senior SE, Staff SE, Principal SE.
There is no one at Principal level in the company of 2000.
Staff is hard to get until and unless you have 15+ years of relevant experience
- Cruise Automation follow-me@Senior band is super wide, ranging from 2 to infinity years of experience.
I noticed there was one L7 (Sr. Staff SWE) from GG and another E6 FB joined as Cruise staffs.
So the bar for Staff level is indeed quite high. It's also very difficult to promote to Staff internally.
- I think this is really team dependent. For example, mine is absolutely fantastic, but I’ve heard enough people say otherwise to know that bad teams must exist. Its like the saying “you don’t leave companies, you leave managers”. I would suggest talking with your hiring manager first and seeing what that’s like. Hope to have you on board. 💪 let’s make this fucking car go!
- Entry level, associate, senior, staff, principal. Not many staff level at Cruise mostly senior 5-10 YoE. Staff usually has extra interview loops and approval from Director/VP round.
- We’re just starting to hire more staff levels and principal engineers. Need more strong technical leadership for next growth phase of 1000+. So likely more director level candidates and above coming. I’ve seen a couple of staff promotions internally but it’s not as common since most people are pretty new.
This comment was deleted by original commenter.
- Microsoft ®@©∃©@®I thought levels at cruise were
Sr SWE I
Sr SWE II
Staff SWE I
Staff SWE II
Can someone from cruise confirm?