1. Google L4 (Sunnyvale) - Gmail EngProd
2. DoorDash E5 (SF) - Consumer
3. Amazon SDE II (SF) - AWS (new product)
I did a couple rounds of negotiation and the TCs are around 300k. I will note that the Amazon recruiter did say it was an exploding offer of 4 days.
At Amazon, I would be launching a new product which seems cool and they use tech that isn't just home grown.
DoorDash is currently the leader in the food delivery market.
Google has the best WLB and stability.
Regarding location, SF > Sunnyvale.
Where am I at? If Amazon can bump up my TC by 15 - 20k, I think I will choose them. I would like to experience FAANG and it seems that they have a similar philosophy of shipping things quickly. The product also seems the most interesting.
- I've kinda been at all 3 companies, worked at Amazon for a while, then a very similar company to DD in the same space and am now at Google.
Doordash - fuck paper money, already been burned by that
Amazon - they'd need to pay me at least 50% more than Google for me to go back
- Well they dont take stock away. Amazons stocks are awarded for the next two years. So your vest is based on an award from ~2 years ago. Ive been here 8 years and year over year my actual comp has been greater than 100k than my target comp due to stock growth.
Oh and on a down market, Amazon will give you stock to hit your target comp. Google refreshers are independent of the market.
- Lyft Daav60Find a better option. Airbnb/Strip/Robinhood etc. They pay well and you’ll likely get L5.
DD = underpaid in 4 years
GG = Still L4 in 4 years
Amazon = WLB exploded in 4 years
- I would expect doordash E5 to be much higher than G L4 on paper, however the equity for doordash is overstated cuz SoftBank valuation...
If doordash and google actually both come out to 300k then google is easy choice.
- I'm pretty surprised at how little support Amazon has gotten considering the locations. The commute to Sunnyvale is pretty horrendous.
I've seen the lack of support for Amazon across Blind, but is that warranted? You can't doubt the success of their products.
- Glassdoor 0o%Join Doordash. Then you can become viral as the one guy who turned down G/A to be a delivery guy or something
- People hate amazon because lack of free food and theres a diva mentality. At higher levels I would personally rather be at Amazon. Make near 400k, project is higher impact and more interesting, i lead it so choose the tech. I bet i cant find that at google. My friends there work 4 hour days stuck at L4 on help page tech. Tech is chosen top down and its usually adopting someone elses promo project. At amazon we mostly do java and aws.
People voting google is mostly herd mentality. Try and see through the bullshit and think for yourself.
For me personally google would be good when I want to rest and vest. Amazon is better for learning to be a good efficient developer.
- Amazon akthePeople like to shit on Amazon for the following reasons:
Compensation (includes lack of perks) and WLB.
Read up on Amazon compensation and refreshers. Nonetheless, 300k is the top end of SDE 2.
WLB, depends on individual teams.
AWS is a great place to learn. Especially if you are dealing with a new product. I've spent a few years in AWS and I've learnt a lot.
You seem to be leaning towards AWS. Give it a shot.