Any tips for data analyst/ data scientist interviews at Microsoft.. what skills do they test on? What team are hiring?
TOP 15 Comments
- Microsoft pseudo1Microsoft's definition of data scientist in many teams is odd... My team mates are SQL junkies called data scientists. I probably will leave my team soon since I am forgetting ML and statistics here.
- SQL, HiveQL, Scope studio. Depends on what team you go to. I think SPI (Xbox) is hiring but unless you are senior you will probably only get a contract role.
- It varies by team but it is more about what you know. If those 4 years of experience are in data science you should target a 62 but be ready to settle for a 60 (might be better to come in low anyways so you can overperform your level)
I do know plenty of highly experienced data scientist contractors who took the role just to get their foot in the door, learn the Microsoft specific tech, and then get apply for a FTE roleDec 22, 2017 0
- Microsoft / Product CutexI was at the AI conference a couple weeks ago when an engineer asked someone there how he could look into a data scientist role. The person told him “Oh we are very selective and no one will be considered without a PhD. It’s really tough to land one of our data scientist roles.”
- Depends on team, Be prepared for deep theoritical questions on algorithms. The expectation for a data scientist is to write white papers on business applications of algorithms/technique. More credit if you find novel techniques but not expected. Sql junkies are being converted to data analysts/ data engineer..