We just had our first baby. Today my wife and I went on Daycare tours in Seattle. We live near downtown. The monthly daycare cost is $3090 (there is no typo here). Fortunately, both my wife and I make a good living; approximately household income is ~400K. But having a mortgage on a house and this astronomical daycare cost makes me feel broke. Do other parents (homeowners with kids) out there in Seattle feel the same?
TOP 25 Comments
- Infant daycare is crazy because it requires such intense and constant care. You can find under $1800 once the kid gets to 6 months. It doesn't scale in that one caretaker can't watch more than 2 or at the very most 3 infants at once, and that's pushing it. So really you are paying for fulltime dedicated care. Would you watch a screaming infant all day for less than $3k?
- Infant daycares are most expensive. Don’t worry that cost will come down as your baby grows older. But it is freaking expensive.
- Facebook ⭕w⭕That's what the in-laws are for. Also, you should have started touring before your baby was born to make sure you don't wait too long on the waitlists.
- We went the au pair route. If you're not familiar, it's a State Department program where foreign young women (occasionally guys) ages 18 - 25 get a 1-year visa to come live with you and take care of your kid(s). All-in cost is about $18K / year, and it's the same price regardless of how many kids you have. The flexibility is awesome. We've always got a sitter for date night, no worries about running late to daycare pick-up, etc. Only restriction is no more than 10 hours / day and 45 hours / week.
You do have to have a spare bedroom, and of course you give up some privacy. Hasn't been a big deal for us. All our au pairs have been like big sisters to our kids, and they're rarely home unless they're working or sleeping.
- Lead time is about 30 days from the time you match with an au pair. There are always plenty to match with right away from certain countries (like Brazil). It usually takes us longer to match though, because we tend to hold out for au pairs who are at the older end of the range, and come from countries we know have really excellent driver training (Western Europe and Nordics).May 19 0
- Well. . If you move to Bellevue, you'd pay lower rent and about half that in day care
- Google LdNc37The list doesn't end here . It will become pre school or Montessori then private vs public, later classes and specific tutions and then college comes 🙂 after that you can just look back yourself and it will be s repeat