Decline or accept offer

Apple lost7
Sep 17 18 Comments

I’ve L5 offer from Airbnb. TC 400k. I’ve been delaying to accept the offer since 2 weeks now. Recruiter today said that I’ve just one more day.

I interviewed with Google for L6 and it went fine. I’ve been waiting to hear from recruiter but he is delaying HC review for his own personal reasons. Google is very slow and it could take two more weeks to get numbers after HC review, team matching and offer review. if i get L6, offer will be higher though.

Should I just accept Airbnb offer? I feel like I’ve run out of my excuses to push on their deadline. What should I do?

phd + yoe 5

comments

Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 18 Comments
  • Goldman Sachs tendieluvr
    Dude... accept it. If you get the google offer (and it’s a better offer) accept that one and decline Airbnb.
    Sep 17 4
    • EY sc123
      100% agreed
      Sep 17
    • Apple lost7
      OP
      Wouldn’t Airbnb blacklist me for that?
      Sep 17
    • Microsoft / Eng going
      Why would they, you don't even need to decline. Join and resign after couple of months. Google would wait.
      Sep 17
    • Oscar
      🐨koala

      Oscar

      BIO
      I am a Koala. DM me if you want to cuddle.
      🐨koalamore
      ^
      Sep 17
  • eBay shanv
    Google offers are valid for a year. Work at Airbnb for a year and go to Google after year 1
    Sep 17 0
  • Oracle larry_off
    Okay to start with, getting even L5 with 5 YOE is a big deal at Google. Many with 2 to 3 YoE got down leveled to L3. Many with 5 YoE are getting L4 with a difficulty. So if you are too good, like the HC wants you so badly, that you not only nailed the interviews but also taught all the interviewers something they didn’t know, you won’t be getting L6. Chances are, if you have nailed your interviews, you will be getting L5.

    Now look at L5 band and make the decision. So folks from Google would tell you that you won’t get L6. Wait for them to respond.

    Accept Airbnb, join and leave if you get a better offer from Google, which is highly unlikely.

    Also, even if the recruiters think you are genius, Google HC won’t approve such offers. Cause they have many employees with 5 YoE at L4, and very few best ones at L5. That would create an imbalance between employees, when other engineers in the team you would be joining with same YoE are at L4 or L5 and you are at L6. So HC would definitely downlevel you.

    PS: The whole explanation is considering you do not have a PhD. If you have a PhD and then you have 5 YoE, then yes, if you have nailed all your interviews, you may get L6. That is considering HC thinks you are exceptional. Although L5 is definitely what you may get if you have PhD. I am bit skeptical about L6.
    Sep 17 0
  • BMO hPnJ57
    Yes.
    Sep 17 0
  • Amazon onmgccg
    5 yoe hard to get L5 at Goog
    Sep 17 0
  • Amazon alexasem
    Google L6 bar is very high, what if they down level you? Will you accept L5? What’s your current TC in Apple
    Sep 17 1
    • Apple lost7
      OP
      I know that the bar is high. If they give me L5, I’ll probably not accept. My current tc is 350k. But I think I’ve pretty high chances based on interview performance and my past work. I’m a tech lead in my current role that maps to L6. I’ll be pretty bummed if they offer me L6 and 500k and I join Airbnb at L5/400k. However, I’ll be pretty disappointed if they offer me L5 and will join Airbnb in that case.
      Sep 17
  • This comment was deleted by original commenter.

    • FourthWall Media 80%Comple
      PhD == an extra 3 or 4 YOE to most employers
      Sep 17
  • Google poDV10
    OP, what’s the status on your end? Did Google meet your expectations?
    Oct 6 0
  • Airbnb YKay55
    Google L5 > Airbnb L5 in terms of experience but Airbnb can offer more money.
    Oct 1 0
  • Airbnb KzOQ16
    You can get more for L5 at Airbnb. May be they offered 400k based on your experience. I am not sure how phd counts.
    Sep 17 0
  • Google / Product jr_exec
    L6 is probably a stretch and two weeks also optimistic. L5 in Q1 just as likely, if not more so.
    Sep 17 0
  • DoorDash cwOq47
    Wait Google. If they don’t dare to let you wait, f them and sign and be ready to forfeit.
    Sep 17 0
  • Nutanix slashetc
    YOE?
    Sep 17 0