Women in Tech
Does FANNG suffer from reverse racism and sexism?Nov 25
During technical interviews, adjusting for all other factors, is the bar lowered for women and minorites?
193 VOTESSELECT ONLY ONE ANSWER
- Nvidia zVEC05The bar is lowered; but that’s not “reverse racism & sexism”, it’s just racism & sexism.
- Use of the term "unfair advantage" in that third option I think will bias your results.
- As a woman, I would be infuriated if someone passed me because of my gender. It’s disrespectful to me as a professional. I would ask the recruiter, but there seems to be zero chance that they would be honest in the worst case scenario.
- I’m not convinced that there are actual differences in interview difficulty in that many places. But companies are fairly open about tilting the playing field in every other way possible in the other stages of the recruiting pipeline (initial sourcing, resume screen, help before interviews, etc).
Some companies (e.g. Microsoft) give management incentives to improve diversity numbers as well as the capability to be biased in the interview bar (because interviewing happens on the group level). I would be surprised if there aren’t at least isolated cases of bias there.
- New tLFu71Of course the bar is lowered and exceptions are made for minorities and women. These companies are the cheerleaders of social justice garbage.
- At Microsoft CVPs and up have a “diversity quota” tied to bonus. NEXT was the perfect example of this.
- OP it’s quite clear that this happens. But what are you going to do?
SJW’s have infiltrated the collective conscience and now we have to deal with shitty coworkers that wouldn’t have gotten the job if it weren’t for diversity quotas
- Expedia pERd08What counts as a "minority" for technical interviews? Engineering teams are already multicultural.
- and who exactly would be doing this passing? In every company I have worked at, there’s input that’s taken from multiple people along this hiring pipeline.
There’s too many people involved in hiring decisions that you would already have had solid evidence by now that it’s easier to PASS and that it’s a serious, ongoing issue. But you don’t have that evidence.
Sure there may be one off cases, but isn’t that the same story for every gender/ethnicity one in a while. And corrections are made.