Does anyone know salary ranges in Austin for a Software Engineer II @ Cisco, 8 YEO?Feb 10
I live in the Bay Area, I met someone who works at Cisco’s Austin office as a software engineer II, with a master’s degree and 8 years of experience. (On Glassdoor, the base salary seems so low, only $100-$120K.) I don’t want to ask him about TC, as I have only known him for a few weeks. However, I really like him and am curious to know how much he makes. I know it sound sexist, but as a female, I would feel weird dating a guy who made less than me.
Can anyone share what they think the comp might be?
TC $150 (I am not an engineer.)
- Microsoft QwpoWow. Don’t bother to find out. He is not for you. Guy that impresses you, a few k up or down won’t matter. This is the shallowest question I have seen in ages. I can’t even. Would never date you even if human species was at stake.
- He impressed me a lot, but I am also very practical person, who came to this country as an immigrant without any money. I know what it’s like to be poor and I don’t want to be in a situation where I need to think about money. I am lucky, right now, I live below my means and was able to built up a decent net worth in a short period of time. However, Bay Area is very expensive and if I have a kid or 2, between nannies, preschools and colleges, low TC (by Bay Area standards) can easily drive a wedge between people.
So I would hold off your judgement.
- I am immigrant too but after certain number of k, it doesn’t matter much. If it does for you, then you figure out those numbers. 1) how much is min acceptable pay 2) how much does it cost to provide for two kids at different stages and then through conversation find out if he agrees with you and how he goes about it. I have very rich friends who have kids with problems that need a lot more funds than an average kids. The saver for them was not the initial pre birth pay but willingness and intelligence of them as parent to figure out what to do and to do what is necessary to keep up with expenses. How much money one makes now is a very weak data point if you want to predict quality of your life. If fear from poverty is your main concern go look for super rich and stingy guys and you ll be good. Stingy is very important.
- Agreed that my salary is low for Bay Area standards, but I bought a house (almost) right out of school in 2010.... so between that and investments, my net worth is about $2M
- If you care about money so much, a wiser question is what he does with his money and how much he has left just to begin with. Ts ts
- This is actually hilariously sad. It’s not sexist, you’re just a shallow person for caring about TC. $100k regardless is good anywhere outside of the Bay and NYC.
You act like if he makes $100k, he’s basically homeless.
Money isn’t everything in life...not even close
- Uber jKbY68Dont be ashamed to admit you won't date guys who earn less than you. That's exactly why guys measure their worth in salary, because girls dig that.