Does working at Tesla suck as badly as I hear?Jan 11
I have long heard Tesla is a meat grinder for engineers and Musk has been known to say things like “you need to rest? You can rest when we go out of business!” Today I got an earful from a former QA who told how on the floor hourly rates are something like a lame $19/hr, how they are up to 220 vehicles a shift and injuries are going up, and how they seem to find reasons to fire for cause a bit before people’s 4 year RSUs vest.
- Tesla / Mgmtt3$l@moreI have been at Tesla for years and do not find it hard at all. 50 hour weeks is what I wanted and that is what I mostly get, pay is good if you are good or have other offers. Intensity of work is high but the people you are working with are all motivated and hence it is fun.
- It’s definitely the toughest place to work having hired and worked with people from all the normal companies on here and asked them. It’s not the hours in most cases, it’s more the pace and intensity is relentless.
The pay is also at the mid to lower end BUT the pay off is being part of one of hopefully the most important companies that help to change the world.
We have the normal super smart people etc but to enjoy and succeed here you need to want to deal with craziness and go all in. If you don’t want to do that then you will most probably not enjoy it.
- Apple TimmyC00kA colleague of mine when I used to work at Tesla showed his work after 3-5 months of effort, and everyone on the team thought he is doing great work on that project.
Elon’s response:”This is a f*cking abortion.”
- Meh. I love it here. Been here since a few years. Most of the weeks i am working less than 60hrs which is normal
- @Google. Found it in line with offers from FAANG. It was probably a low ball when i joined right out of school. Multiple off cycle raises and I am in a good range now. Interviewed with Google and Apple last year, offers were lower than what i earn And they agreed to bump it just after I revealed current pay. (I don't consider sign on bonus as a part of TC since that is a one-off thing to make you jump boats.)Jan 160
- Google Woopsy> how they seem to find reasons to fire for cause a bit before people’s 4 year RSUs vest.
Wait, that makes no sense. You have a one year cliff and then you vest quarterly: the 4th year vesting is not special in any way!
- Cisco / Otherendofdays9They’ve sure hired a lot of garbage people from Cisco and Ericsson. Let me just observe that they’ve done quite a lot of hiring out of the ass-end of Cisco and not the competent bits.
Given who I know works there, I don’t think I’d be willing to ridge in a car based on their coding track record. They’d do stuff like return pointers to stack vars etc.