If chinese people are avoiding Apple products, we should stop buying chinese products.
TOP 36 Comments
- New / Eng > >We can join them and avoid Apple products. Much easier than living without Chinese crap.
- We should also stop eating Italian, French, Japanese and Chinese food because they are not eating enough American food
- Good luck with that...last time I checked Apple isn’t manufacturing anything outside of China.
- 1. We're in the 21st century when you're useless as a jack of all trades. To be successful, you need to be extremely good at a few things, and sell those things at a premium. That's basically global trade
2. We need to sell higher margin products and outsource lower margin products (ie manufucturing) to places where labor is cheaper. Thus we export a shit ton of internet and data products where margins are high, and outsource low level productions to other people
3. We can build everything in house. But your iPhone will probably cost you 5,000 us dollars. I don't want to pay 5,000 dollars for an iPhone.
What you're suggesting is the same rhetoric the Chinese used back in the 15th century. In less than a few centuries, they went from the most powerful civilization in the world to a third world country.
- China spent the last 3 decades building factories while we spent the last three decades dismantling them: the jobs aren’t coming back. Even if you broke ground today all the supply chain for making the average device would need to come back here too so we’re talking at least a dozen different factories just for one device. By that time most Chinese factories will have completed major upgrades.
- Yes, they built factories cause their cost of labor is cheap. Cost of labor in the US expensive af and not competitive with global production.
So the smart thing to do in this case is to up sell. Ie. shut down factories, and start creating jobs that generate higher margins. Ie services. That could be tech services like silicon valley or financial services like Wallstreet.
Alternatively, we automate. Which if you look closely, automated factories are doing fine in the US. Because when we remove cost of labor, the most expensive resource, we don't need to move them offshore.
In conclusion, why would I want to preserve shitty businesses that are not competitive, or play a game we're clearly not competitive in? Shut them down and make room for higher margin businesses that we have a competitive advantage in.May 22 1
- New / IT greatloopsmoreAmerica will lose. Idiot president doesn't even understand economics 101 that no one wins in a trade war.
- New / Eng PsynapticmoreApple is one specific company that overprices their goods.
Chinese products cover every domain in life, some are high quality, some low, most underpriced, some not.
Why would we abandon the latter? Everyone should abandon the former to drive prices to a reasonable level.
To suggest the opposite is to suggest buying an iPhone over a OnePlus, which is stupid.
- If Chinese people are avoiding all things American, quid pro quo.
Once Walmart Starts sourcing from other countries, China loses negotiation power. China won’t let that happen.