EB1C or FAANG

Riverbed Technology hotspring
Aug 8, 2018 25 Comments

I've an offer from one of the FAANG companies. But my current company is willing to do EB1C. I have to go out of USA for a year though. Assuming the wait, is it worth it?

Have very trusted management now. But any changes in budget, etc is worrying.

Indian . 31 . Single . 10yoe

comments

Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 25 Comments
  • Wells Fargo Kalaignar
    If your current company is one of WITCH (Wipro, Infosys, TCS, CTS and HCL) then don’t believe them. You know our Indian managers confirmation will never happen. Once you go back it’s hard to come back.
    Better stay with FAANG and don’t believe them.
    Aug 8, 2018 1
    • Riverbed Technology hotspring
      OP
      Yeah it's not one of WITCH
      Aug 8, 2018
  • Amazon AMZN guru
    EB1 is backlogged to 2012 for India( assuming you are from India ), what’s the point?
    Aug 8, 2018 3
    • Riverbed Technology hotspring
      OP
      Yeah.. my eb2 priority date is apr 2016. So thinking, when I come back by 2020, it might be current or 2016..
      Aug 9, 2018
    • Amazon AMZN guru
      Makes sense, you didn’t mention about existing EB2.
      Aug 9, 2018
    • LinkedIn InFr
      The wait isn’t linear!! Dates retrogress, move forward quickly and all other kinds of bullshit can happen. 2020 is an optimistic average wait time
      Aug 9, 2018
  • Google sDOa58
    Makes sense for China or India nationalities where priority dates make a difference. Otherwise just have new co file EB2 immediately
    Aug 8, 2018 1
    • Riverbed Technology hotspring
      OP
      I have EB2 already got approved
      Aug 9, 2018
  • Lyft MenJ24
    EB1C take it now. You can always get FAANG later. You will get green card sooner and then do whatever heck you want.

    This is based on an assumption that you would get green card in an year under EB1 which was the case 5 years ago. If not true then do not take my opinion into consideration.
    Aug 9, 2018 0
  • Microsoft hope.
    One year outside and filing eb1c going to RFE case. Btw there is no RFE from sept 11, direct denied. Think twice.
    Aug 8, 2018 0
  • Microsoft / Eng 💩F5!
    Are you joking? EB1C always, even if it means going out of the country for a year, unless you don’t care about the green card.
    Aug 8, 2018 0
  • Visa / Eng MercyMain
    EB1C if I was in your place
    Aug 8, 2018 0
  • Groupon / Eng xVkD48
    Indian ? Yes
    Aug 8, 2018 0
  • Mesosphere onsie
    The FAnG company can anyways offer you the same position again in an year and you can use your unused h1b cap.
    Aug 8, 2018 2
    • Riverbed Technology hotspring
      OP
      I am not sure about that though. They have already started processing H1 transfer. Would I be burning the bridge if I can't join now?
      Aug 8, 2018
    • Mesosphere onsie
      You can always cite a personal reason.
      Aug 9, 2018
  • Microsoft UMbR31
    Do you trust your current company so much? Lot of things can change in 1 year dude.
    Aug 8, 2018 2
    • Riverbed Technology hotspring
      OP
      Good and very trusted management..
      Aug 8, 2018
    • Microsoft UMbR31
      Yeah I guess it is a real conundrum. 17 year wait vs risk 1 year. If it doesn't work out in a year, you can use your H1B cap to interview here and get jobs I guess.
      Aug 8, 2018
  • Microsoft WordPPT
    Cheater
    Aug 8, 2018 1
    • Riverbed Technology hotspring
      OP
      No bro! Why should I cheat?
      Aug 9, 2018
  • Juniper KekeWho
    Dont. Recently 1yr isn't sufficient, lot of scrutiny. Plus India EB1 has a date too (due to excess eb1c application). So you will have to suck it up for a long time after you return to get through (cant switch). Your management will know they own you till then. I have a work friend stuck now for 3 yrs, hopefully this yr he will get it and can leave.

    My take is make hay when the sun shines, switch to faang and reap the benefits now.

    Its a tough choice so think it through. Having a trusting management now isn't sufficient criteria, it can turn to a big risk anytime.
    Aug 8, 2018 1
    • Riverbed Technology hotspring
      OP
      3 years for EB1? Daym! This is the exact confusion I have..
      Aug 9, 2018
  • Amazon / Product Xxpc85
    Depending on where you’re going. It may be a great experience. Also since you’re single, it would be an enriching experience. I would not discount that.

    I went to Europe for a year, came back, and now stuck in the EB1C backlog. Sure it’s not current, and it’s risky. However, that (and EB5) is the best we have right now for Indians. Based on my experience, you’d likely also lose substantial amount of savings if you worked anywhere outside of the US. I don’t think FAANG is going anywhere, and if you were selected once, you would be again, say in 2 years.

    It’s really an easy choice for me, although the path is hard. Good luck.
    Aug 25, 2018 0
  • Apple / Other WoodFloor5
    Do it
    Aug 8, 2018 0