I am 36, w 7 YOE at Intel in AZ. Grade 8 TC around 200. Ashamed by the TC of FAANG lot but getting by.
Wife has faculty offer from a university in a high COL area ( think Seattle kind of area, but with much smaller tech scene). They don’t pay much, something like 150, barely anything for a high col area.
I am thinking of my options. Should I move to my wife’s place and get whatever job I can; we can be middle income with total income around 300 and cruise through rest of our life with Honda cars and cheap vacations.
Or should I try to break free of Intel and try the high flying jobs in Bay Area. I am in software engineering, have been doing leetcode for a couple of months , and feel that I can get into the game.
1. TC On Blind is very very inflated. A lot of chaps here make a lot of noise.
2. Are you happy with your current role? How is your day to day life? Have you identified what makes you happy? If it is TC numbers then do the needful and aggressively look to move out of intel. If it is a decent earning but being surrounded by friends / community your choice work towards that.
3. Is your wife’s goal an important factor for your overall healthy relationship? Is this opportunity significant for her career? If that’s the case, follow her - you are in tech industry you will get “a” job ( if you push hard enough you might get THE job)
4. Do you want to be big a small fish in a big pond aka another Tech worker in bay? Or do you want to be a big fish in a small pond? Aka get a role in the city with smaller tech scene but a good startup?
5. Honda cars run great for years. Refer q1.