FANGM: Do you interview with new companies?

Amazon lasgjhf4fg
Jul 2, 2018 13 Comments

Asking especially FANGM employees: I get several emails via my LinkedIn profile from companies I've never even heard about (The cliche of "I came across your profile and your background/experience seems like a great fit for our company..."). I honestly most of the time don't have time to reply.
Since these recruiters ask for a time (15 minutes) to chat and introduce their company, do you usually reply and actually talk to them? Is it impolite to not answer?
How do you go about it?

comments

Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 13 Comments
  • accesso / Sales Zombe
    I reply to every one and will usually grant a quick chat. I’m really happy w my current gig but I always talk to anyone interested in my work history (real or fake). You never know when a real opportunity will present itself.
    Jul 2, 2018 0
  • Amazon / Eng Murreewqwc
    Literally fuckin never. You aren’t special. They spammed the whole internet.
    Jul 2, 2018 3
    • Amazon lasgjhf4fg
      OP
      And you never think that you might have missed on an opportunity (like a good start up, or a huge TC bump)?
      Basically I want to know how to decide about which company might have a future.
      Jul 2, 2018
    • Google / Eng leet200
      You will not get a TC bump coming from FANG going to these companies. At most you will hope that your options will be worth something
      Jul 2, 2018
    • Amazon lasgjhf4fg
      OP
      Really? I thought they'd pay much higher TC to attract the candidates from FANG.
      Jul 2, 2018
  • Microsoft MrHyde🤖🤖
    If it's FANG i will. Otherwise I'll pass
    Jul 2, 2018 0
  • Netflix GYjk06
    I feel like I should just be asking them about comp straight up. It feels rude, but so is this which is basically cold calling.
    Jul 2, 2018 2
    • Amazon lasgjhf4fg
      OP
      If their offered TC is not way higher than my current one, I wouldn't even think about the move. So yea, I feel that my first question should be about the TC, but yet it feels rude.
      Jul 2, 2018
    • accesso / Sales Zombe
      Def agree. If time is money than 1st question could be TC related.
      Jul 2, 2018
  • Intuit Y2K-2
    FANGM? This is a thing now?
    Jul 2, 2018 0
  • Microsoft / Eng
    Soylearnt

    Microsoft Eng

    BIO
    TC - still 1 comma
    Soylearntmore
    Every answer is perhaps right. If you are happy where you are, decline their offer for chat but connect on LinkedIn. Someday you could be looking for a job and then you can contact them and see what’s on offer. It does not hurt to build network. Good recruiters keep watching certain profiles over time and they would come back every 6-12months. They are doing their job, don’t be a DB
    Jul 2, 2018 0
  • Facebook Costajfie
    Amazon isn’t worth my time. I could do msft if the work is interesting and they have good WLB
    Jul 2, 2018 0
  • Applied Material awakealive
    98% of those inquiries were wastes of time. The other 2% paid me way more per hour for my part-time efforts. I am in old-school engineering and not SWE so it may be different for you folks.
    Jul 2, 2018 0

Join verified employees in our anonymous social network! Download the app!

close