10 years sde experience with PHD degree. Recently got two offers: Facebook E4 and Amazon L6. Tc of Amazon is 60k more than that of Facebook. Which one should I choice? Any information and suggestions is appreciated.
TOP 18 Comments
- Tableau krxi15I can give you 60 thousand reasons to join Amazon over FB. If that's not enough, then I can give you 2 more.
- Apple / Eng DidididiAmazon has so much potential than Facebook. Amazon is fast and leader of so many things: AWS, smart home integration, etc. Amazon has its own content like Netflix. Amazon is just way better given the package you are offered.
Facebook WLB ain’t better than Amazon.
Amazon culture and frugality might be annoying but dude you aren’t gonna be there for the next 10 years.
- I don't see it as that straightforward. Yes, E4 is low for your YoE, but if you prove that you can perform at E5 , FB will promote you in a year. After that, E6 is hard but doable. So there is more potential there
AFAIK at Amazon getting to L7 is super hard and takes a long time.
Also the company culture and perks are very different at the two companies, you need to decide which one do you like more.
As for the advices that say join one and jump ship later - yeah, easier said than done.
- Mesosphere onsieI won’t call it easy but also add that yes it is for granted that it is very likely a Amazon L6 would get a FB E5 offer or no offer. Why would you join otherwise? The work responsibilities that a L6 has to do at Amazon is more in line with an E5 anyways. Also, your argument regarding company perks is nonsensical at best. Do you believe that the perks at FB are worth the $60k and less job responsibilities. This might be true for a new grad out of college but not someone with gray hairs :)
- @onsie, 'or no offer' is the key there. Once he gets to E5 difference will not be 60k. I also wrote that he has to decide what culture and perks worth.
30% of FB is E5, I believe Amazon L7 is <5%. I think it is safe assumption he will get to E5 soon, and if not, probably will be murdered at L6 in Amazon.
TL;DR: with the same skills and work ethic, you will make more at FB eventually.
- Facebook / Eng mpk0Location? If Seattle take Amazon and switch to FB Seattle later.
If bay area, take FB.