I never cared for Facebook. I joined it because I wanted to fix the news platform but realized I couldn’t. I don’t believe Facebook itself can neither. It was built to prey on peoples vanity and weakness in trying to get attention. It’s bad from individual level all the way to an entire society. Twitter is not as bad because it doesn’t carry the weight of users being their true identity. Facebook carries the weight of true identity. Any false or poisonous contents carry weight with it due to real identity. I am no longer using FB nor IG. Only messaging function but plan on stop using its products completely.
TOP 44 Comments
- Amazon / Eng idk_I disagree completely. Maybe if you use it for the wrong reasons it could be evil but that can be said for the majority of things in life. I have friends in different countries and the only way I can stay connected with them is through Facebook, messenger, WhatsApp, and Instagram. I have free video calls with friends in these countries daily. This was not possible 10 years ago. And long distance calls every day would have cost you a fortune. Now video calls anywhere are completely free thanks to Facebook. If someone spends all their time on Facebook watching videos and looking at memes sure that’s bad. But that doesn’t make Facebook evil. That’s like saying if someone spends all their time googling porn on google that makes google evil. Google provides a great service as well and could be used for the wrong reasons just like Facebook and just like any other product.
- But what company builds their business model preying on peoples vanity? I haven’t spent any time browsing people’s shit and I feel great. I can use that time to do something more meaningful. Regarding staying connected with family and friends, I use wechat. If there wasn’t Facebook, there would be other messaging tools you could use to stay in touch.
- Facebooks mission as you know is to connect the world which they are doing a great job of doing. Connecting the world with free communication is a great and much needed service in our lives. Maybe your friends have vanity issues and are conceded and have to try to get likes on Facebook. That’s their personality. That doesn’t make Facebook evil for giving them a voice to speak easily to everyone they want to. I rarely post on Facebook personally but I do scroll through the newsfeed because I am interested in what my friends are up to. If they want to announce great things I’m happy to hear about it. I don’t understand how you think this is evil...Apr 27 4
- Collective Health alticcneThe problem is that you don't understand human psychology, and arrogantly assume it does not apply to you. Pro-tip: it does, and Facebook (and many others) built businesses on top of studies that demonstrate how to manipulate the human psyche in subtle ways. If you believe in bull shit like Silicon Valley mission statements, I have a bridge to sell you.
While Facebook is busy destroying our social fabric, Amazon is busy destroying small business. Don't kid yourself.
- Some side of human psychology is fine for me for the company to monetize on like: I feel too lazy to go to the grocery store. The damage it does it takes away retailers work. The psychology for attention seeking being monetized on by Facebook is not something I want. There has been numerous studies proving social network creates anxiety for people. That’s just at the individual level. And you are right all tech companies are destroying the fabric of our society but some like Facebook is creating far worse damage that’s difficult for any policies to negate. Job loss is a result of technology advancement just like the past industry revolution. The society as a whole need to find other channels for the workers. If you follow politics, you should check out Andrew yang.Apr 28 1
- I am a person who values the net positive things a company generates hence Facebook is shit. It tries maximizing the time you spent on the platform so it can display you more ads so it makes more money. What you end up is useless information from a bunch of random people you don’t really care about. Why not spending that time reading some useful articles? Other companies have good products that really make our lives better one way or other. What does Facebook products do? It’s a way over hyped company. I don’t think it deserves the hype it gets but humans are like sheep. So whatever. I just won’t participate in any of this shit.
- Stfu already - you sound like someone who was never an FTE here
Any idiot that thinks our phones are being actively monitored is a complete idiot. You know how many people using blind on their work phones would be gone for bigoted posts? Most employees port their phones but since you weren’t FTE you didn’t know
You are giving him way too much credit YeahNah - no investigation needed for this oneApr 27 3
- Honestly, recently I haven't seen anyone using FB heavily by nearby friends. All my FB timeline piled with full of shit ads, 9gagish videos and old relative pictures etc. People are more in Instagram, YouTube and Twitter.
I am using it for only single sign on 😂
- I am comparing 2017 vs 2019. My friend base not changed that much, and definitely FB pace slowed down. Look at the social media, people are live streaming from YT, sharing news links mostly from Twitter. I hardly remember recently clicked on a third party link and land on FB. It got changed a lot.
- Microsoft oasisredIf you feel like you can’t fix the platform, are you going to leave? Or is the money too good?
- I'm all for honesty, but you should be careful with only attributing honesty to people that are critical and say bad things - think about your immediate environment- all organizations/teams have people that think very badly of where they are and you probably disagree with them (I'm not saying OP is one, he is probably sincere, but making a broader statement)
Attributing truth to critics and "kool aid drinking" to fans will give you warped view of the world
- Also they monitor everything employees say on workplace chat as well as any messages sent via company owned phones. My conversation with previous colleagues were automatically deleted after I left Facebook. Every company thrives on our personal data to make money but Facebook does it to the extreme. That’s the only thing they can survive on. I refuse to give more of my personal data as their sole source of revenue and yet the anxiety and peer pressure it magnifies.
- You have no idea what you're talking about. Nobody is monitoring your conversations or company phone. It's a company phone, it has software to ensure data can be wiped and recovered if required. It's not your phone.
What did you even do at Facebook? You're probably some contingent worker.
- What are you even talking about?
Do you really think there's a team monitoring employees phones? You aren't that important and there's internal posts that already cover why what you're saying is false and what the software installed on companies phones actually does.
If you're using a company phone, there needs to be safeguards to ensure the data on the phone is safe if something happens to it or something needs to be investigated. Don't use your company phone as if it's your own personal device, that's not what it's for. It would be a complete legal liability to Facebook to not have software installed for data recovery.
- I was not fired. I was just on a real shitty team and that team made me hate Facebook. Every single person on that team has gone only three of the people who built the team are still there coz they get to decide every year who they like enough to keep around and who they dislike enough to fuck them over. Plus, out of everyone I know who still work there, 99% are super unhappy and are planning on leaving ASAP. I am talking about Facebook. Not messenger nor what’s app as I said in my original post: I only use their messaging products while what’s app is not really theirs. I liked IG but then they are turning IG into something shitty now too. I would have not been using messenger if I can disable my Facebook account permanently but still use messenger.
- Amgen / Finance MrmephistomoreI only use it to keep up with old friends and relatives but even then not so much anymore: I get more news value out of Twitter and Reddit.
The stuff they now own is much more exciting than the big blue app but who knows what they want to do to Instagram, WhatsAp and Occulus given recent departures.
- Aren't you under obligation to use fb while in fb? What if your boss finds out you don't use it?