Why is today a national day of mourning for a one term president? We shut down all stock, bond and commodity exchanges.
While we have the deepest sympathies for the loss, why is this a national holiday for financial markets?
- Uber / EngsightmoreThis man served the country for many years, since his time in WWII. One day of mourning someone who was willing to sacrifice his life for us isn’t going to hurt. It’s actually nice to see the country united and not bickering for once.
- It’s not a holiday for the vast majority of the country (most people have other work that they can do, and haven’t been sent home)...
But to answer your question: Yes. I’d be okay with this for Trump and for Obama and( disagree with both politically. The presidency is a unique position and respect for the office supersedes the office holder.
- Some of the ways that this man served the country:
- 4 years as President
- 8 years as Vice President
- 2 years as the CIA Director
- 5 years as an Ambassador
- 4 years as a representative in the House
- 3 years as a decorated Lieutenant in the Navy during a world war — with 3 medals.
After MANY years of service at the highest level of our government in multiple areas you folks are freaking out because stock trading is suspended to honor him for just 7 hours. SMH.
- It’s not 7 hours. A single days trade is between $1-$2 trillion+ across stock, bond and commodity markets. I would rather honor his memory on my own time and not set a precedent to shut down trillion dollar markets by deifying someone with a dubious record. Oh and the president did much better than you or I will ever do, leaving behind a fortune of $30mn+, mostly from the oil industry
- OP your company celebrated a black nationalist communist who praised bin Laden after 9/11 and called America the #1 enemy of the world. Work on your own judgment of character before questioning others.
- Oracle fatalflawMourning past leaders is by the law in most countries. Nothing different about the US in this.
- Hitachi Vantara DMTAfter yesterday’s routing a pause seems like a god thing no matter the reason.
- Yelp leingloDivisive OP is divisive. I am from another country and no this does not feel weird. Raised eyebrow for a minute but realized soon after that the man has done a lot for the country. So what’s the big deal with one day of financial shutdown..nothing really just an insignificant dust in the big scheme of things. OP just wants to feel outraged I guess
- How do you justify that McCain was a hero but Bush is not? Both served in war. McCain was caught and tortured, but both put their lives on the line.
Also, Senators have nowhere near the same responsibility as a President. They have 1 vote out of 100. It’s a different league. All presidents should be honored - it’s not always thankful job. As a society we should hold the office in the highest regard.