TC: 135, YOE: 13, non FAANG, but reputable company.
Got L3 SWE offer @ 175, no competing offers (my mistake, I know).
People who accepted such low ball offers - how did it end for you?
How was your career progression? How is working as L3 if you are a senior engineer?
The offer does not seem acceptable to me, and I'm 99% rejecting it. Just looking for peer validation I guess.
- LinkedIn Lvn70Let them know how insulting the offer is. Ask for L4, and be willing to drop out
- LinkedIn HarambeL7CI feel like this guy is trolling, theres no way with 13 yoe you will be slotted in L3. One of my coworkers recently went there as L4 with 2 yoe
- Google / Eng mad👩🏻🔬It's kinda standard for an L3 offer, but 13 YOE... Is it all as a SWE or something else?
- Is this in the Bay Area? If yes, then you could push TC more. But as others said, if this is a SWE position, you should really be aiming for a L4 offer or even L5
- Facebook / Ops ewQj67That's insulting for +10yoe. Don't take it otherwise when you join and find out people do nothing make way more than you, all you wanna do is leave. Go interview Facebook. More fair in terms of pays
- This offer at 13yoe is too low. Is this what offered to those coming from Non FANG. What if my current TC is higher? Will they still offer the same L3?
- I must have come off the wrong way, sorry:) no intention to be salty - I'm just "very surprised" by the L3 offer, since it does not align with my career so far.
Working at Google was my goal for some time now, and I need to re-evaluate either my perception of myself, or my perception of Google.
- Interview somewhere else. But then again it’s still a bump so. Here at google not everyone is an L5 at 4 yoe. There are many L3 at 30 years old, L4 at 40 years old, and L5 at 50+ years old
- Sure not, but I also for sure cannot be bunched with new grads.
No, no competing offers, but this is beside the point. The offer is either acceptable or unacceptable on its own.
The main point of the post is to discuss how other senior people sailed in a L3 role and how their career progressed.
Arguing about which level or compensation level is not very useful.
Is 175k base or tc? What's tc?
Which domain your prior exp in?
with similar yoe i think l3 is too low.
Last yr when i interviewed i thought they were considering me for l5, but recruiter later told me they did interview me for L4. I thought it went well, but no offered them saying L3 would be too low.
- Is this 13yoe in US or some experience outside US too? I was once lowballed by a company that cited this reason.