15% target performance bonus for meets
Feels I'm getting lowballed here.
- Lowballed. You better go as L4 with this. TC isn't worth the responsibility. Take it from a new L5 hire myself.
- Are Google salaries in decline or I'm getting bullshitted?
They're saying how this offer is good and how they doubts they can even match my other non-FANG offer or my inflated Amazon comp.
- Actually it makes sense. There's a list of companies (which gets updated somewhat regularly) that the compensation committee has authorized as competitors and are willing to match offers against. Your other company probably isn't one. Current comp is also generally not matched if it's due to ridiculous stock appreciation.
- Well, then I'll just walk. Google name is not worth $50k/yr to me and a compromise in the type of work I would be doing.
What is amusing is I'm not expecting some out of band comp. Just give me the median for the role or thereabouts. I thought Google would pay L5 SWE $310-330k. It seems salary reports are either not accurate or Google thinks I'm desperate.
- I did mostly mediums, some hard and easy. Google on-site was a mix of everything.
System design was mostly not on grokking. You need a solid foundation to pass them but it's possible to learn it through prep. Just read as much as you can. I would focus on system design primer and designing data intensive applications book. There's a pdf of it online
- Microsoft BeavisThanks OP. I come from a distributed systems background, were the questions topic specific? I can imagine them asking about consistency levels, consensus, replication, consistent hashing and sharding. But did they go into further details like Paxos implementation and all?
- OP, get counter offers. I know someone with $600k RSU offer with 6 yoe.
- I have counteroffers in the 300k TC range and even my current Amazon TC is above 300k due to old grants and stock performing well.
I'm just not optimistic I can get a decent offer now from this bottom of the barrel starting point. Google knew my expected TC was 300k even for L4 and they came up with $265k TC L5. SMH
- What should be the numbers to go for here considering my existing offers and current comp in the $310-320k region? I really don't want to lose $50k/yr just to have Google on my resume.