H1b - need advise

Slack eqeW87
Aug 13 19 Comments

Hey guys, I recently got a job at Amazon as a PM(Program manager). My h1 is currently is the transfer process and I received a RFE (speciality occupation) and USCIS gave me 90 days to respond to it. The law firm is Fragomen and we all know pretty much that they take the full 90 days to respond.

The Hiring manager is not pushing me, but requested if there is a possibility that I can join on receipt. I have expressed my concerns, but he mentioned that I will have his full support if anything goes wrong and asked me to think about it (again, he is not pushing or saying he will revoke the offer, its simple a request).

Speaking to the lawyers, they say its upto me and chances of getting denied is very very less. Looking for advise from fellow blinders.

Background: Masters in IT management, 9 yrs experience.

Current TC: 155k . Amazon TC: 250k

comments

Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 19 Comments
  • Expedia Group / Eng miserable
    His full support if something goes wrong means what exactly? Is he going to send you to Canada? And whatever workaround it has, it will involve u being out of US for at least some time. Are you ok with that?
    Aug 13 2
    • Slack eqeW87
      OP
      I am a Canadian, temporarily that shouldn't be a problem I guess.
      Aug 13
    • Expedia Group / Eng miserable
      Well..then discuss the exact contingency plans with Manager
      Aug 13
  • Oracle 3kings
    OP donโ€™t join on receipt. I have an egomania manager to deal with at current company(not Oracle) but I choose to stay until RFE is cleared. Not because I donโ€™t want to move out but purely due to cannot afford the consequence if denied. For now I keep playing games with my manager. And itโ€™s actually fun.
    Aug 13 0
  • Fanatics coder07
    Not worth the risk mate. God forbid, if anything unpleasant happened, manager or anyone else from Amazon or any other firm can't help you with extending your stay here for employment. They might be able to relocate you to a different office of theirs in a different country.

    RFE these days seem to be a way for USCIS to buy time for themselves.

    What you can ask your manager instead (to speed up your date of join), is let him push the attorney's office to process your RFE sooner and get your Visa transfer approved quickly.

    Good luck and let us know what you decide OP.
    Aug 13 0
  • Oracle
    not_larry

    Oracle

    PRE
    Amazon
    not_larrymore
    Totally depends on how bad your current job is. If you must move out for sanity or some other reasons, maybe worth joining on receipt. Otherwise no.
    Aug 13 0
  • Workday / Product tdf
    You know the drill - TC or ๐Ÿ‘‰
    Aug 13 4
    • Slack eqeW87
      OP
      Updated ;)
      Aug 13
    • BYTON cJKu57
      Would also like to know Amazon offer ๐Ÿ˜›
      Aug 13
    • Slack eqeW87
      OP
      Updated with current and Amazon TC
      Aug 13
    • BYTON cJKu57
      I can't advise you on what to do. But I can't see a sane reason for USCIS to actually deny h1 for that kind of comp.

      But then USCIS doesn't always do sane things.
      Aug 13
  • Amazon :(:(
    Dont. My colleague got rfe, fragomen gave evidence which was ultimately denied . They joined on receipt. And instead of providing international relocation..they are off payroll and waiting. Fragomen is not even "hurrying up".
    Aug 13 2
    • Slack eqeW87
      OP
      Can you provide any details? Thanks.
      Aug 13
    • Microsoft tincans
      That's really bad..
      Aug 13
  • Autodesk auto-mate
    Managers are not permanent. But your career & life you have setup here in the US is more important. Donโ€™t mess up everything. Itโ€™s hardly a couple of months of delay & wait if you look at the bigger picture.
    Aug 13 0
  • CVS Pharmacy NOTAM
    Super risky!
    Aug 13 0
  • It's a risk
    Aug 13 0
  • Google Mr. GIass
    If I was you, I wouldn't join on receipt. If you want to join on receipt I'd say you need a contingency plan if it gets denied. What is the contingency plan they are offering you? If they aren't offering one despite you being willing to risk your career for such a move, I'm not sure the 'support' from the manager means anything. If he is really supportive, he'd offer you a contingency plan preferably in writing.
    Aug 13 0
  • Microsoft / IT DilDosti
    With current scenarios of rejection I would not do it. Fragoman is evil. Highly incompetent. Once u leave for Amazon and ur transfer petition fails u r doomed. Not worth the risk. U alreday got a RFE so their documentation was not good
    Aug 13 0