I just finished my studies and applied for opt. I have got some good offers and they are willing to apply for H1b this year. I have interview and expecting to get better offer in March/April. My preparation is under improvement as well so can’t just interview for Google rightaway.
I have heard LCA and other paper work might take some time. Should I just finish H1b with one of these companies and switch it later next year with H1b transfer?
Can two companies apply for my H1b or can I ask this company to stop filling my H1b on March 29. My guess is that Fragomen guys would have finished the process long before March 29 such as LCA and it would be hard to pull it back.
Let say I ghosted this company for better offer in April, will they ask me to repay the Fragomen fees?
Request only US graduates to answer this. Thanks!
- Amazon tzenyuAll the companies you mentioned are pretty good. I would advice you to take up one of the offers you think is best and make them apply for H1B. If you get picked in lottery and if you get a new better offer later then you can just switch on transfer after you visa is approved. If lottery doesn’t work then you can switch right away anyway. I have seen many people not getting H1B lottery picked in their three chances on OPT. I think going for lottery and not wasting a chance this year is more important than joining Microsoft instead of Google.
- You can but you dun want to burn your bridge at your early career. Tech recruiters move around.
- New leetam123moreOPFirst company is Samsung/Qualcomm and next ones are among Microsoft/Amazon/Nvidia. Does anyone heard of someone doing it? Samsung/Qualcomm employees can tell if refunding Fragomen fees is there or not. My contract says nothing about visas but says I will be responsible for all attorney cost that is needed to enforce the job contract. Guys, I have worked in europe for 5 years and did my PHD in US so not very young. Do not intend to burn bridges but I am in complicated timeline as of now. thanks!Feb 23 1
- My suggestion: just join one you like the best, and apply for EB2 NIW since you have PhD and work experience in Europe. If you have some citations, a decent lawyer could help you get GC in a year. Problem solved. Under Trump administration, even h1b can’t guarantee anythingFeb 23 0
- Oh, also, if the second company give you offer in March April, they won’t do h1b, it’s too late. It took Microsoft 2 and half month to file my h1b transfer, damn slow. Just take the first one and join as soon as possible. If you switch after you join, it’s not asshole, just say culture fit or different from your expectations.Feb 23 0
- Intel aurora124You have PhD why not try for O1 visa? Talk to fragomen about it than going for h1 lottery. You can ask msft/amazon to expedite interview process.
- IBM R DravidLet me tell you. Fragomen is very slow in their process. Their lawyers have replied to me after 1-2 days everytime even for trivial queries. If you want to apply for H-1B this year, don’t think. Just apply for it. Make your decision afterwards.
Now, it may sound unethical advice, but remember H-1b and visa shit in the US isn’t fair to Indians anyway.
- Nvidia bdei51If the other company will be able to apply for h1b by April 1st you can tell current company you will leave the job and not to apply for h1b. You shouldn't be obligated to pay the fees unless it is in your contract. Even if you have to, it is just a few grands who cares.
But keep in mind other companies are always there, if you can't their offer now you can take it next year. Try not to be an a** early in your career.