H1b withdrawal possible after application?

Palo Alto Networks / Eng roarr
May 2 14 Comments

I accepted a position from company A in around Feb. They said they will apply for h1b using my undergrad degree and they applied in apr 2019. I was trying for new companies. Now, I got into company B and really want to go to company B. But my h1b is already applied and waiting for lottery results.

I am still at school, so this h1b is an additional chance. Is withdrawal possible or should I wait?
What do u think i should do?

Update: my h1b lottery from company A just got picked. What do I do now ? Will saying no to company A will affect my visa status or anything like that?

comments

Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 14 Comments
  • LinkedIn climax
    Don't count the chickens before they hatch.
    May 2 1
    • Palo Alto Networks / Eng roarr
      OP
      What do u mean? My h1b is applied and I have another offer which wanna take it.
      May 2
  • Amazon bNJF07
    Just join the company you prefer using OPT. It is not a big deal if you miss your chance to get h1b and get sent back to India.
    May 2 7
    • Palo Alto Networks / Eng roarr
      OP
      Okay. But do u have answer for my question?
      May 3
    • Amazon bNJF07
      You don't need to withdraw, just don't activate the h1b and use your OPT instead. You don't need the h1b to work on OPT so you can go to the company you prefer.
      May 3
    • Palo Alto Networks / Eng roarr
      OP
      That helps. Does this affect my future h1b chances or anything such?
      May 3
    • Amazon bNJF07
      You lost a lottery chance, that's all. You presumably have two more chances? So probably 2/3 odds you will win one or the other of those draws and 1/3 chance you will be going back to India.
      May 3
    • Zoom ptBv33
      It seems like bNF07 either does not understand probability, or just really wants to scare roarr. roarr, if there is a significant difference in company A and company B in terms of money, work or any other parameter that is important to you, then I would suggest join company B on opt. Switching companies after h1b can be tricky and u would not want to be stuck in a "what if I had taken B" loop.
      May 3
  • Workday / Product vEbw83
    Wait for lottery result. Unless you want to use opt for emp b.
    May 2 1
    • Palo Alto Networks / Eng roarr
      OP
      I want to use opt for company b. I was wondering what can be done to h1b application? As I have no receipt for it yet as there is no lottery result.
      May 3
  • Credit Karma green_sky
    The lottery result is first step, and then is approval, if RFE comes then? If you get lottery selection, join the h1b company first until processing happens. Or talk to a lawyer
    May 2 1
    • Palo Alto Networks / Eng roarr
      OP
      The joining dates are almost close and I dont think company will be ready to wait until October (is lottery is done) or July end (worst case to know deadlines. And any idea where I can connect to a lawyer?
      May 2

Salary
Comparison

    Real time salary information from verified employees