Help decide between 2 offers and h1b transfer...

Juniper awdjs123
Mar 9, 2018 34 Comments

Got couple of offers...
SE3 at company A: 125k base, 130k stock
Accepted the offer, they filed LCA and just filed h1b premium transfer couple of days back. One of the top 10 companies is glassdoor.

Got another offer yesterday,
Sr. SE at B: 155k base, 35k options pre ipo.. A big company too but not public..

Role, team, culture, manager, at A and B are something I like in both places. I wont regret choosing 1 over the other.

Now, confusion is I like company B due to senior title and high base pay. If A gives more base I might join them. But scenario now favors B. B is yet to start filing h1b transfer. They will do in 1-2 days in premium.

Given this situation, can I negotiate with A for more salary. If that is not professional, can I turn down As offer now?

Feeling bit bad to think about turning down the offer, but same time dont want to leave so much money in the table. Not sure if I'll stay long time in the company or shift in 2 years..

Blinders, what would you do if this is your situation. Advise and suggestions please..
TIA.

Edit 1: A is VMware.. so its MTS, SE.
B is Optimizely SFO its Sr. SE.

comments

Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 34 Comments
  • Hitachi Vantara / Product
    iotpm

    Hitachi Vantara Product

    PRE
    GoPro, United Technologies
    BIO
    PM for Industrial IoT with strong engineering, entrepreneurial and PM experience
    iotpmmore
    You definitely cannot renegotiate an accepted offer. Extremely unprofessional.
    Mar 9, 2018 1
    • Juniper awdjs123
      OP
      So should I just decline A?
      Mar 9, 2018
  • Microsoft rjcJ58
    Yup , base and title help if planning to move in couple of years. I will go with B
    Mar 9, 2018 5
    • Juniper awdjs123
      OP
      Can I negotiate base at A. If not can I reject
      Mar 9, 2018
    • Microsoft rjcJ58
      It at will employment , u can reject.. but make sure you talk to B since your Visa transfer is already filed. Anyways if u are too worried go with A and there is always a tomorrow
      Mar 9, 2018
    • Juniper awdjs123
      OP
      Bs attorney said that its not a problem..
      Mar 9, 2018
    • Microsoft rjcJ58
      Then just go with B , but you have to be upfront with A since they already filed for H1B transfer and incurred a cost of doing so .. be straight with them
      Mar 9, 2018
    • Juniper awdjs123
      OP
      Ok mate thanks.
      Mar 9, 2018
  • New / Eng bigN4
    This is Blind app for a reason. Go ahead and give the company names, OP. There are more factors that could weigh in while folks here give their perspective!
    Mar 9, 2018 1
  • VMware Jags
    If you are choosing vmw for stable secure job then, you should go for B. Read about dell vmw in the news.. if it is for the project / team then go for vmw
    Mar 9, 2018 6
    • Juniper awdjs123
      OP
      Can i negotiate with vmw now? Or is it ok to decline?
      Mar 9, 2018
    • VMware Jags
      You can say that I received a competing offer, can you match it? For MTS3 they can’t go beyond certain range, so they can only increase your RSUs. Btw how many years of relevant exp? Which business unit?
      Mar 9, 2018
    • Juniper awdjs123
      OP
      4 years.. cloud
      Mar 9, 2018
    • VMware Jags
      Ok then they won’t give sr MTS unless it’s a really strong match, so it will totally depend on rsu negotiations, I would say option B
      Mar 9, 2018
    • Juniper awdjs123
      OP
      I think B too.. do you think I should reject A ? After h1 transfer
      Mar 10, 2018
  • New kilj
    What would make u choose optimizely?apart from the money of course
    Mar 13, 2018 4
    • Juniper alphabouns
      Title plus future.
      Mar 13, 2018
    • New kilj
      Did u make a decision?
      Mar 13, 2018
    • Juniper alphabouns
      Not yet.. waiting for official docs from B.
      Mar 13, 2018
    • New kilj
      Are u more likely to join optimizely?
      Mar 19, 2018
  • Microsoft rjcJ58
    Depends of which company are u talking about , senior at A might be SDE1 at B .. better if u name the company
    Mar 9, 2018 3
    • Juniper awdjs123
      OP
      Dont want to name them dude...
      But here is the info.

      In A its level 3 which is level 4 of B. Position at B is level 5.

      Level 5 in A is manager, Level 6 in B is manager.
      Mar 9, 2018
    • Lyft Koolaid2
      Amazon and something else :)
      Mar 9, 2018
    • Juniper awdjs123
      OP
      Revealed.
      Mar 9, 2018
  • Cisco Pappuu
    Is it mts 2 or mts3 in vmware. Also how much exp do you have? I would go with Vmware
    Mar 10, 2018 1
    • Juniper awdjs123
      OP
      Mts3.. 4 yrs relevant, totally 6
      Mar 10, 2018
  • Informatica / Eng Infastar
    What is the vesting period in both? If it is 130 k over 4 years and considering the other is pre IPO, I don't see much difference in total compensation between the two. But base and title is something which always help in next move.
    Mar 9, 2018 1
    • Juniper awdjs123
      OP
      Both 4 years.. RSU over 4 years with 1 year cliff.. Options are like 20-20-30-30
      Mar 9, 2018
  • Pandora stormdanls
    cool...tats fab...
    Apr 3, 2018 0
  • Juniper avengers!
    35000 options..
    Apr 3, 2018 0
  • Pandora stormdanls
    Is it 35000 $ worth of options or 35000 options
    Apr 3, 2018 0
  • WalmartLabs / Eng
    Ast

    WalmartLabs Eng

    PRE
    Yahoo
    BIO
    Data pipelines
    Astmore
    In general all companies have the compensation scales. They may/may not be able to help you in base salary. But they may offer extra stock or joining bonus. Explain your situation to company A and ask them if they can adjust base or stock to fit in B’s TC.
    Mar 9, 2018 0

Salary
Comparison

    Real time salary information from verified employees