Asking for a friend 🙃
He is quite stupid, finished from a mediocre college last year with a good enough gpa and some internship experiences but nothing substantial. He is currently working a mediocre job in the tech sphere but not as software engineer. He quite hates it and harbors this stupid dream of working in the West Coast in a FAAANGASM (Airbnb, Snap and Msft in case anyone is wondering last 3) company.
He is trying Leetcode but gets distracted and demotivated pretty fast and gets stuck often(I mentioned he is stupid).
So just wanted to know if a subpar person like him could get into FANG or should he not even try and aim lower? He is 23 with Bs and Ms in computer engineering (not CS but he took some coding classes) 😕
Edit: I think I need to forego any self respect here and clarify that the friend is me
Asking for a friend 🙃
- Microsoft rwfY17I thought the correct acronym was FAAANGASMULDSS (Uber, Lyft, Dropbox, Square, and Stripe in case anyone is wondering)
- > He is trying Leetcode but gets distracted and demotivated pretty fast and gets stuck often
There's your problem, you need to be taking a LOT more Adderall if you want to make it in SV. Meth works too and you don't need to waste time on sleep.
This comment was deleted by original commenter.
- I'm 23 and had a 2.5 GPA and just passed HC at Google first try. Went to a good college, top 30 US, but nothing special. Just keep studying and you'll make it.
- Honestly, doesn’t sound like you’re stupid, but maybe suffering from ADHD. Have you ever been testing?
Other than google, none of those companies care that much about grades. And computer engineers can usually land similar roles as CS majors.
- As in tested but doctors disagreed? Or just haven’t gone to look into it.
You don’t need to take meds for it, there are other ways of dealing with it (if that’s what you’re concerned about). Even just being aware of it, can help you manage yourself a lot better.
Probably at least worth looking into, as it could turn a lot of your problems around.
- Accenture / Data __asdfgrit > talent
- Aim lower to tier 2 and then after experience in tier 2, try tier 1.