Oracle / Engnot_larrymore
Let’s talk about Total Happiness rather than Total Comp.
How happy are you?
- I've always been happiest when I'm on sabbatical or unemployed, pursuing my own projects with time to really explore my interests on my own time. Out of these conditions I always end up producing work that is meaningful to me that ends up getting me employment. With employment inevitably I get unhappy. Right now pretty unhappy... Looking for something new.
- You work for FB with an amazing TC. Why don’t you invest all the extra dough you make on high risk Msft stock. After you make your millions quit and live off the interest in some cheap place like Mexico? Then you get to do your own projects, see the beach every day, and make us all hate our jobs even more.
- I was on track to FIRE before it was called FIRE... Then wife and now planning for house / kids. Under the yoke again. I don't mind work... Just trying to get to a place where I only do it 8 or 9 months a year somehow. That's more my speed. I'd work until I was dead if I could have that ratio of work / life each year. The problem is less the work and more the time that it takes away from what I actually find meaningful and interesting.
- Still have a good amount of investments and a reasonable chunk of liquid cash on hand but by tech standards nothing to brag about. The chunk of liquid cash is earmarked for a down payment on a home at this point but not enough for one in the Bay area... certainly one in other California cities though. Once we do the house the liquid is mostly gone and it'll be mortgage mode + kids. Wife isn't on board with lean life on FIRE... But I always make sure to have some fuck you money so I can walk away from a job and land on padding while I regroup. Wife is a good deal younger than me and is still into her career. Time will crush her spirit as it did mine 😋
- Google parry_lageVery happy. I just put purchased a SFH in Palo Alto on my happiness itself.