How risky is it to join on receipt since H1B premium processing is stopped ?

Cisco / Eng
rainDrops

Cisco Eng

PRE
Microsoft
rainDropsmore
Nov 13, 2018 22 Comments

I got an offer from an company and they are asking to join on H1B receipt. Also my wife is on H4 currently and attending Grad School.
How risky is it to transfer on H1B receipt . What effect it will have on her H4 status if I join on receipt

Any pointers...

Thanks

comments

Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 22 Comments
  • Apple iPhone Xs
    Don’t do it. Rejection is least of your concern when it is denied. You could be barred from entering USA for 3 years due to unlawful presence if petition is denied. And all future H1b stamping and renewals will be a lot more difficult
    Nov 13, 2018 0
  • Oracle Inkheart
    Very risky given the current climate
    Nov 13, 2018 0
  • Apple / Eng EdCutie
    Anything is a risk until you get it approved.
    Nov 13, 2018 0
  • Cerner XLdG63
    The processing times for H1B categories in California processing center is currently 7-10 months. Most places aren't willing to wait that long for a candidate, so unless you get an offer from a place like Google (I believe their offer is valid for a year) you will have to pick between joining on receipt or foregoing your offer. Most of my colleagues who have offers are planning to join on receipt, I only know one person who is insisting on waiting for approval and he is having a hard time finding interviews.
    My 2 cents: From what I have seen there is a good chance of getting RFE but very low chance of rejection for SEs. I got picked for H1B this year and went through the RFE process, they are sending out RFEs with every application but I do not believe the chances of denial has changed much for legitimate applications.So I am planning to join on receipt.
    Nov 13, 2018 4
    • Expedia grayr
      Premium processing comes back in Feb. It definitely won't take 7-10 months if your application gets upgraded? Am I missing something here?
      Nov 13, 2018
    • Cerner XLdG63
      Yeah, hopefully that happens, but there is no gaurentee premium processing ban won't get extended by a few months again
      Nov 13, 2018
    • Expedia grayr
      Ha, has that happened in the past?
      Nov 13, 2018
    • Qualcomm CR#7
      Very recent past.
      Nov 13, 2018
  • Amazon YmLP41
    Very risky. Personally I know few cases of outright denial for Google, Samsung and had to leave the country
    Nov 13, 2018 4
    • Cisco / Eng
      rainDrops

      Cisco Eng

      PRE
      Microsoft
      rainDropsmore
      OP
      Was the candidate from non CS background ?...Just trying to understand the reason for RFE...

      Mine is a CS background and work ex at Microsoft and Cisco ... Now moving from Cisco to Adobe...Total 8 years exp..5 in US...3 in India...

      Was the denials even for start forward cases without change in background..

      Thanks for the information...Really helpful insight since it involves me and my wife and our current plans
      Nov 13, 2018
    • Amazon Inductor
      I know a guy joined Amazon on receipt last year, applied H1b transfer twice both got rejected, he is not with the company now, he has a CS master degree since 2011
      Nov 13, 2018
    • DoubleVerify Karius123
      OP
      Nobody can say for sure whether CS vs non CS, FANG vs non FANG etc makes it any bit less risky. It is ultimately dependent on your appetite for risk.

      So, do you still want to take a chance or would you rather wait out till approval ?
      Nov 13, 2018
    • Amazon YmLP41
      One was a product manager and other software engineering role each with around 3 years work experience in USA. Premium processing opens in Feb. I strongly recommend waiting
      Nov 13, 2018
  • Glassdoor / Eng wwfJ08
    Don't do it. Now RFE is not even asked they deny the request and you could be screwed
    Nov 13, 2018 0
  • Salesforce Bigly123
    Just do a search on blind. Plenty of threads and common recommendation is not do it - unless you really hate your job or you are at the risk of being fired.
    Nov 13, 2018 0
  • VMware / Eng vm12
    Unless I cannot continue at my current job I won't join on receipt. I would wait for approval.
    Nov 13, 2018 0
  • New khEu77
    Just don't.
    Nov 13, 2018 0
  • Expedia grayr
    Same boat and can't make my mind up yet. Following this thread!
    Nov 13, 2018 0
  • Vlocity FTJU
    Don't join on a receipt. Even the most qualified cases are being given out rfes. I was in the same boat a couple of months back. Got and rfe and even on a premium transfer, the whole process took 3 months.
    Nov 13, 2018 1
    • What was the reason for RFE? And employer?
      Nov 13, 2018
  • Intel 7nm
    Take it. The company also files h4 and the ead
    Nov 13, 2018 0
  • Mogo 🍋lemon
    Very risky.
    Nov 13, 2018 0

Salary
Comparison

    Real time salary information from verified employees