I really like a girl at our office gym and our workout time overlaps often. I want to approach her but don’t know what would be the best way without making things awkward. Since we both work for the same company and will probably see each other around I don’t want to make a fool out of myself. Can really use some help here.
TOP 45 Comments
- Facebook ⭕w⭕If you don't want to make a fool out of yourself, don't approach her at a gym. Only caveat is if you guys were in crossfit or some group activity where you could pair up, but otherwise the gym is her "me time" and the last thing on her mind is to deal someone trying to hit on her.
This comment was deleted by original commenter.
- Esterline / IT alpha7GmoreDon’t just ask her out. Not yet. Next time you are at the gym, say hi to her, casually and don’t try to have a conversation. Skip the next time, and then say hello again after that. Move on with your routine. The next visit after that try to leave the gym at the same time with her so you are not encroaching in her gym time, and try to have a conversation around what she does and team and all that. Maybe ask her where she draws her motivation for coming to the gym from, and how you look for motivation too sometimes. That way u get to know her first before considering if you do really have a chance. Read the signs all along the way. She might not be married but have a boyfriend. Enjoy the whole experience and be ready to let it go if it will not work. If she’s not the one, then you build the experience for someone else.
All the best.
- My gf’s cousin just got married. Met husband at the gym. He just walked up to her near the treadmill and told her joke after saying hello or whatever.
Apparently it was real awkward because she didn’t get it, and he tried to explain it. But I guess that opened up conversation
- I do agree that many people do it. I personally don’t see anything wrong but everyone is allowed to have a different opinion on things. I am always respectful towards women and if they are not interested I back off. Here I just want to be extra careful because it’s our office gym and I don’t want things to get awkward or uncomfortable
- Amazon productsIs she wearing make-up and dressing stylishly? If yes, she is trying to attract attention (whether consciously or not) and it should be fine to approach her
- Microsoft / Eng sunofa🍑Also:
- if she's has a water bottle - that's a sign she's thirsty for a new relationship.
- if her mouth is open any time during the exercise - that's her trying to tell others how much she wants to attract some men.
- if she has her keys with her - you're in luck! She's inviting you to her place. Subconsciously of course.May 17 2
- Zillow Group / Eng JOnc22Imagine the situation from her point of view and play all the variables out before you decide on a plan.
- Facebook bPVY33Good luck! I don't really have any advice. But I'd like to suggest that unless she responds in a clearly positive way to your first advance, please back off right away :( women often have to switch gyms or start going at inconvenient hours to avoid people hitting on them and it's not a fun experience.
- Get to know her first before you ask her out. Try to start a conversation, ask for a spot, ask if she minds if you change the music, what team she works on, something.
If she smiles and is a willing participant in the conversation, get her name and do it again the next time. If she is not, be polite and move on.
I've found that work gyms are a surprisingly friendly place if one person starts talking, other people gladly join in (not just related to dating pickups). But somebody has to initiate the conversation.
Don't approach her when she's on the treadmill or has headphones on though.
- Wow this thread is crazy...
High TC but have no idea how to work girls or...
Low TC but can walk in anywhere, anytime, any hotness level with full confidence
- Verizon / Eng ComTruis3Have you even had an eye contact? When I don’t want to be approached/talked at gym, I don’t make eye contact and have headphones on. Eye contact is the best indicator, follow it by a subtle smile or a nod.
- For gods sake don’t ask her out or even try to have a date-related conversation in the gym. People feel really vulnerable in gyms because they might be sweaty or they might be making weird ass faces while straining or the night be wearing tight/short/etc clothing...
The only conversation you have with someone at a gym who you’ve never met is “hey, done with that machine?” “Hey, don’t worry about putting that weight away I’ll just use it since your done” etc.
Is she as strong as or stronger than you? Figure out a non-creepy way to ask her to spot you for a minute. Are you doing free weights? Ask her to hold your iPhone to do a quick video of 2 reps so you can check your form (and don’t try to show off).
Slowly over multiple visits you’ll get to know each other - or not
- Oh and before the “No, just do it!” people jump on this comment... remember, this isn’t a random person at a random gym that you could never see again.
This is a coworker. Someone you might not work with at the moment, but who you could find yourself working with in 6 months. Plus she has friends who work with you both. Plus HR if you’re really that bad at talking lol. You don’t want to come off as a jerk, douche, player, whatever with a coworker.
- You have a valid point regarding her being a potential coworker and that’s the exact reason why I am being too cautious and nervous about this situation. I agree with some of the advices people gave in previous comments regarding starting up with a more casual conversation rather than directly asking her out. I never planned on straight up asking her out to coffee/dinner. I am interested in showing her that I think she is cute and that I am interested in knowing her better without making it awkward for both of us.May 17 0
- Personally I think you should just catch her before she hops on a treadmill, or maybe after she gets off. Just say excuse me there, hi, I just wanted to let you know you’re totally cute, and wanted to ask if you’d be interested in grabbing a coffee with me one of these days.
Women like compliments, they like attention, and they want men to pursue them.
If she reacts poorly, whatever. It’s her loss man, and you’re better without her. She did you a favor, and now you can move on to another girl who is normal and not ridden with toxic feminist bs.
Life is short, don’t spend it pining or locked in anxietyMay 17 0