How to manage to hold an offer long?

Apple / Eng
foooooo

Apple Eng

BIO
Just an another engineer. Hoping to find a few friends here :)
foooooomore
Aug 16 31 Comments

I just got an offer from a company X today. That's 150k base but no stock bonus. YOE: 9+.

The company says I have time until Tuesday to accept the offer. I asked for more time but the company didn't agree to it.

But I have on-site interviews coming up with Box next Friday and Goldman Sachs next to next Monday.

I also have initial phone interviews with Square and eBay in the coming week.

What should I do in this situation? Can I accept the offer from the company X and reject it later if I get a better offer from any other company? But I feel that's really bad to do.

Otherwise can I ask more time saying that I have other interviews coming up? But I feel asking that will lead them to withdraw the offer.

I am trying to play safe so that I can retain this offer from X if I get rejected in all the other companies?

I am on H-1B and the company will be spending money to transfer it. I am a contractor at Apple.

Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Current comp: 97k

The reason that I want to hold on to this offer is that I want to really get out of my current company due to work stress and low pay.

comments

Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 31 Comments
  • Western Union 30ssss
    Avoid companies which corners you
    Aug 16 2
    • Oscar 🐨koala
      Totally.
      Aug 16
    • Apple / Eng
      foooooo

      Apple Eng

      BIO
      Just an another engineer. Hoping to find a few friends here :)
      foooooomore
      OP
      Make sense
      Aug 16
  • BYTON cJKu57
    OP. If u think about it. Such short deadlines are nothing better than a car salesman trying to get you into buying a car. If u don't have experience buying a car this is exactly what they do :" this offer is good only for today".

    Accept it. It will take them time to file H1 etc. Finish ur other interviews. If it works out tell these guys u ain't coming. Unless it's a company u realllly wanna work for in near future.
    Aug 16 1
    • Apple / Eng
      foooooo

      Apple Eng

      BIO
      Just an another engineer. Hoping to find a few friends here :)
      foooooomore
      OP
      Man you nailed it with an analogy! I appreciate your response.
      Aug 16
  • Apple / Eng
    tWBu16

    Apple Eng

    BIO
    I’m a software engineer. Right now my job is focused on full stack web dev but I love everything related to tech
    tWBu16more
    Why do you feel as if accepting the offer and rejecting it later is bad? People do it quite frequently. No one cares because they respect that you are looking out for yourself
    Aug 16 2
    • Apple / Eng
      foooooo

      Apple Eng

      BIO
      Just an another engineer. Hoping to find a few friends here :)
      foooooomore
      OP
      I thought it would be bad to reject because making the company believe and backing down. Yes I heard people do it but not sure if it's done frequently. I understand your point and appreciate it!
      Aug 16
    • Apple / Eng
      tWBu16

      Apple Eng

      BIO
      I’m a software engineer. Right now my job is focused on full stack web dev but I love everything related to tech
      tWBu16more
      It’s probably not any worse than just straight up rejecting any offer
      Aug 16
  • Accept and renege later.
    Aug 16 2
    • Apple / Eng
      foooooo

      Apple Eng

      BIO
      Just an another engineer. Hoping to find a few friends here :)
      foooooomore
      OP
      Is it usual that people do it? because in this the company will start filling the Visa transfer by spending money.
      Aug 16
    • Google / Eng
      proletaria

      Google Eng

      BIO
      Workers of the world, unite!
      proletariamore
      The user's name is "Joker". Reneging says a lot about a person, so if you're willing to do it, then most places will likely not hire you if they found out.
      Aug 16
  • Microsoft / Eng cholical
    Why leave apple?
    Aug 16 2
    • Apple / Eng
      foooooo

      Apple Eng

      BIO
      Just an another engineer. Hoping to find a few friends here :)
      foooooomore
      OP
      I am a contractor at Apple.
      Aug 16
    • New / Strategy
      Porsche996

      New Strategy

      BIO
      BS MechE, MS ISyE
      Porsche996more
      Take it and use that offer as leverage with other companies to speed up offer process.
      Aug 16
  • Google / Eng
    proletaria

    Google Eng

    BIO
    Workers of the world, unite!
    proletariamore
    Try one of the most useful resources I've read recently:
    https://haseebq.com/my-ten-rules-for-negotiating-a-job-offer/

    It covers these sorts of "exploding offers".
    Aug 16 1
    • Apple / Eng
      foooooo

      Apple Eng

      BIO
      Just an another engineer. Hoping to find a few friends here :)
      foooooomore
      OP
      Thank you for sharing it. I will check it out!
      Aug 16
  • Databricks / Data
    data4u

    Databricks Data

    PRE
    500 Startups
    data4umore
    Square offer will be 250k + , so take offer and if you get square reneg the offer you accepted
    Aug 16 1
    • Apple / Eng
      foooooo

      Apple Eng

      BIO
      Just an another engineer. Hoping to find a few friends here :)
      foooooomore
      OP
      I appreciate your feedback!
      Aug 16
  • Apple / Eng
    foooooo

    Apple Eng

    BIO
    Just an another engineer. Hoping to find a few friends here :)
    foooooomore
    OP
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I made up my mind to accept the offer and reject if I get a better offer otherwise I will join this company X.
    Aug 16 0
  • Apple / Finance wr92jd8
    Good question. I’m tuning in to hear a decent response from someone with experience
    Aug 16 0
  • Apple bogle
    Also a contractor at Apple. Few months yoe, atrocious pay and looking to leave.

    Do you work on an interesting project at Apple that gave you good experience? I take it that you have not had any trouble getting interviews despite being a contractor (through TCS, Infosys, Wipro, etc i am assuming)
    Aug 16 4
    • Apple / Eng
      foooooo

      Apple Eng

      BIO
      Just an another engineer. Hoping to find a few friends here :)
      foooooomore
      OP
      No I never had any trouble receiving interviews.
      Aug 16
    • Apple bogle
      Cool, i hope to follow down the same path as you soon enough
      Aug 17
    • Apple / Eng
      foooooo

      Apple Eng

      BIO
      Just an another engineer. Hoping to find a few friends here :)
      foooooomore
      OP
      Are you waiting for an offer too?
      Aug 17
    • Apple bogle
      Nope, i have not started applying yet and have barely even started studying. I admittedly have been very lazy and feeling down about my situation which has affected my motivation to study and get out. I am working on changing this.

      How many leetcode did you do to prepare? What about for system design?
      Aug 19
  • Twitch mqFo65
    Yeah accept the offer and set a start date in like 4-6 weeks. If you get another offer it’s kinda a dick move but, honestly, they’ll be fine. I did this once and actually wound up with a serious counter offer (Didn’t accept though)
    Aug 16 2
    • Apple / Eng
      foooooo

      Apple Eng

      BIO
      Just an another engineer. Hoping to find a few friends here :)
      foooooomore
      OP
      Yes that's what I also think so. I appreciate your reply!
      Aug 16
    • New / Strategy
      Porsche996

      New Strategy

      BIO
      BS MechE, MS ISyE
      Porsche996more
      Now accepting counteroffer hurts?
      Aug 16
  • Airbnb / Mktg Jonny555
    Accept the offer and definitely continue interviewing. If you get an offer for substantially more elsewhere, tell them, and let them decide if they want to match it or not. If you give them the opportunity to pay market value and they say no, that’s their decision.
    Aug 16 1
    • Apple / Eng
      foooooo

      Apple Eng

      BIO
      Just an another engineer. Hoping to find a few friends here :)
      foooooomore
      OP
      Got it. Yes, thats one of the ways to ask the other company to decide when I get other offers later in the process.
      Aug 17
  • Visa / Eng Jdmfe
    Happy that you get at least 50 percents bump. Good luck !!.
    Aug 26 0

Salary
Comparison

    Real time salary information from verified employees